News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

UNUSUAL AND SOMETIMES STRANGE PHONE PATENTS

Started by Phoniac, January 22, 2011, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoniac

I don't know if any of you all have searched through patents and seen some the strange and unusual things people have come up with but, it's something I do from time to time and also use them to help date an item. Well, last night I was at it again and found some unusual things, at least they were to me and I thought some of you would be interested. The first is a phone that looks like an early ERICOFON that was patented by J.B.Hubbell in 1939 and also has the characteristics of the E-1 handset. Anyone seen one or have one? I'd like to see it.

Phoniac

Well, Judging by all the responses, I reckon no one has one. This was most likely never produced. Many things that were patented just fell by the way side. I just thought some would be interested.

Adam

Just looking at the design and knowing what materials would have been used at that time period, I'd think the thing would be way too heavy to hold to your head.  Very cool though, thanks for posting it!

The design appears to need a subset, no?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Phoniac

Masstel, Looking at the drawing I see no induction coil or condenser much less a ringer so I would assume it needs a subset. I really should have read the patent further to find out more. But if this was produced your right it most likely would have been heavy to hold up to your ear very long. But I still want one.

Jim Stettler

Keep looking and asking around.
It took me years before I was able to document rd button IC based trimline phones.
I have some cool info now, but it took a long time.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.