"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dismantling Payphone Handset

Started by Payphone_Guy, July 16, 2017, 12:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone_Guy

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much to everybody again for all the continued help with my payphone research.  I hugely appreciate it.  I've completed the basic research and I'm moving on to digitizing some items.

I will be using photogrammetry to create a 3D model.  The technique I am using requires that I photograph the phone, the cord, and the handset separately.  I have been able to remove the handset from the phone very easily, however I cannot get the transmitter cap (or the receiver cap!) undone.  I need to remove these to be able to disconnect the cord from the handset.

I found this diagram: https://www.payphone.com/images/D/handsett.jpg, which indicates the caps are the screw type, however I can't be sure and don't want to break anything.  They seem to be stuck on very tight!

If possible, could someone please confirm if they are the screw type?  I'm thinking they might be purposely very tight, or maybe a different design to prevent damage from use or vandalism, however I'm not fully sure.  If they are the screw type, is a strap wrench the only answer?  I've searched the forums and found notes on various techniques with hairdryers and ovens, but I don't think I'm skilled enough to attempt such a trick, and if the material is not the right type, I'm not sure if that's the correct technique to use.

As always, thank you very much for any help.  I really appreciate it.

Alex G. Bell

They are cemented on to prevent tampering.  You will not be able to remove them without destroying them.  I suggest getting another G3 handset from an ordinary phone to use for your imaging since it won't be any different except for the color.

Victor Laszlo

So, "Payphoneguy," in what area of coin telephone technology are you conversant? Most of us know that coin telephone handsets are either glued or welded to prevent vandalism.  Are the coin telephones with which you are familiar different?

"I've completed the basic research..."  Research into what aspect of these telephones?

Sorry if I missed previous threads...but what is it you're trying to do? Create a 3D version of something that already exists? I don't see the advantage in doing this.  There are at least a few manufacturers still making G-type handsets.  Perhaps they can provide the drawings or data required for your project.

Payphone_Guy

Thanks very much for the help; I figured there was an anti-crime aspect to the design.

I might try to eliminate the cord from the photos via image masking, but if not there looks to be very similar handsets on ebay for about $10.  Thanks very much again - I appreciate the help.

-

Victor Laszlo - Thanks for the reply.  The previous threads are linked below, although these relate to a very different aspect of my research.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16115
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18026

And you're absolutely right - I am indeed creating a 3D model of an existing phone.  The purpose is to create a file which could later be used in various other projects such material culture studies, online digital collections for viewing, allowing people to 3D print their own versions of items, use inside a video game or virtual reality experience, etc.  Basically, as best I see it, 3D modelling has the potential to provide new forms of access and research for historical artifacts and stories, and so I'm doing my best to practice getting better at it!  I hope that helps explain it!  Thanks again.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Payphone_Guy on July 16, 2017, 01:27:47 PM
Thanks very much for the help; I figured there was an anti-crime aspect to the design.

I might try to eliminate the cord from the photos via image masking, but if not there looks to be very similar handsets on ebay for about $10.  Thanks very much again - I appreciate the help.
You're welcome.

Yes, it's an ordinary G3 handset except for the cord.  Lots of them should be available separately or on inexpensive phones. 

The receiver unit itself may have an extra coil on the back to radiate a magnetic field so it is hearing aid compatible, as indicated by a blue grommet at the cord exit.

TelePlay

Quote from: Payphone_Guy on July 16, 2017, 01:27:47 PM
The previous threads are linked below, although these relate to a very different aspect of my research.

And you're absolutely right - I am indeed creating a 3D model of an existing phone.  The purpose is to create a file which could later be used in various other projects such material culture studies, online digital collections for viewing, allowing people to 3D print their own versions of items, use inside a video game or virtual reality experience, etc.  Basically, as best I see it, 3D modelling has the potential to provide new forms of access and research for historical artifacts and stories, and so I'm doing my best to practice getting better at it!  I hope that helps explain it!  Thanks again.

That's what I was thinking. Research is another one of those vague words defined by the person doing the research. And I remember reading his other two topics.

As soon as I read 3D printing, I knew it something of, say, a University engineering project or even a commercial company's work not into phones so much but into the ability to create or actually create physical or virtual projects.

The company I worked for got into 3D printing of knee replacement so they perfectly fit the person getting it, not a one design fits all. From X-rays, they would create a femur (just like the paper weights I have for sale) but they would perfectly fit the physiology of the patient. Don't know how that's going because I don't work there anymore and could care less about them, the company.

And once Payphone_Guy provided the two other topics, it all fit together.

I don't follow 3D printing, WEBellSystemChristian (who's probably out driving his newly restored truck did look into it) and maybe others have.

Lot of  new stuff out there due to fast computers and great digital graphics programs so the future for that area is unlimited, and they have to work on something to hone their skills.

=======================

This is relatively new to me and I'm not a gamer so PS4 stuff is out of my area but I happened on how they create these life like action games using special rooms and suits with balls and stripes on them to record body movement which is then converted into 3D action games or films. Below are two composites taken from Uncharted 4 showing 2 guys in recording suits and the same two guys as they appear in the video. The action camera angle of the first is through the jeep, the second is as recorded. Posting this here because I don't know how many phone guys know of this computer graphics technique but may find it interesting.,

If you want to see the video from which these were taken, it's on YouTube at this link:

https://youtu.be/sB0xy74Zrj8  ( and despite the graphic warning up front, it only a fancy cartoon )

This got a bit off target but it's all related in some way to what Payphone_Guy is or could be working on in his research, still or action re-imaging or creation.

Maybe Payphone_Guy could fill us in a bit more that what he explained above on what his project really is and what the end product is, if he can that is - unless proprietary and top secret . . . 

tallrick

I have gottn all my phones apart with a heat gun and rubber strap wrench. You can also cut off the caps carefully and sacrifice them to get to the threaded handset.