News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What do I have?

Started by Ward, September 26, 2008, 06:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward

I have come to possess an excellent condition old telephone, but I have no idea of its age or relative value. On the back of the phone is stamped-

SIGNAL CORPS US ARMY TELEPHONE TP-6-A Order No. 6511-PHILA-51 The North Electric MFG.CO.

This phone works like a charm and I like it. Would anyone know of its vintage and any other interesting particulars??

Thanks,

Ward

Dan/Panther

Ward;
A photo as you know is worth that 1000 words, but in determining the shape condition and collectabilty of an item, it is vital.
If you want to know value to sell the item, I would suggest checking some auction sites, that will give you your best shot at determining value. Or you may post in our classified to sell the item. A price you are asking would be greatly appreciated, and picture a must.
If you wqant to find out more about the phone, sign up to our forum and ask away.
To be perfectly honest with you as far a pricing, I think the hobby has not yet established a firm pricing structure as to value of certain models, for example, I recently purchasefda very nice 1935 Monophone, which I now use every day, and it cost me $20.00 plus shipping, I've seen the exact phone for sale on a permanent site in restored condition for upwards of $499.00. Go figure.

To maker a long story even longer, I just don't know.....

Come back and visit anytime you would like to share, or just chat.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Ward

Dan,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am really not interested in selling my phone. As my post indicates, I am seeking info on its vintage and other interesting particulars. I know nothing about vintage telephones other than my recollection of how to dial numbers from my boyhood days. I am mostly curious about what kind of phone I have, its vintage, etc. I suspect this telephone was standard issue for US Army use in the late 1940's or so, but that's a guess.

Ward

benhutcherson

Does it look like this phone(from my personal collection)?

Information about this specific variation seems to be relatively scarce, however, from examining mine, it seems to be 100% identical to a stock Western Electric 500 C/D set, save for the Signal Corp markings. In fact, I had mine for three years before I ever noticed that there was even anything unusual about it.

You'll find it listed on Paul F.'s 500 series chart, however I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere on the internet or in print.

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm

I have no idea of the rarity, however they seem to be considerably less common than the stock general-market 500 set.

As far as age, yours should have a date code on the bottom. There will also be a date code on any individual parts. If you look at the photos of mine, you'll see that it's dated 12/64 on the bottom. Yours is probably from around this date.

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Ward on September 26, 2008, 07:07:07 PM
I suspect this telephone was standard issue for US Army use in the late 1940's or so, but that's a guess.

Ward

I can't say that I know too much about them, but the various military branches did indeed use phones with the TP-6 designation.  What I've often found interesting is that some of them are North Electric phones like yours (yours should be similar to the so-called "Galion" I believe), while others are by Connecticut Telephone and Electric. (known as the "toaster" phone)  They are completely different designs, but both are called TP-6!  That's all I know about them...  :-\

Ward

The phone I have does not match the picture supplied in the previous reply. Mine appears to be of a more dated vintage. I will take some pictures and include them on a future post.

Thanks,

Ward

benhutcherson

Ward,

Sorry about that-looks like I messed up big time.

I saw "signal corp" and automatically assumed it might be like Signal Corp telephone I have. Somehow or another, I completely missed where you said Northern Electric.

Again, my apologies for cluttering up your thread.

Ward

Here are pictures of my mystery phone.

Ward

More..

Ward

And more...

Mark Stevens

Just as I suspected, your phone is a North Electric Galion. What distinguishes yours from the civilian model is the various Signal Corps. references and, possibly, some internal mods to make them more durable in high humidity environments. (like the conditions encountered in the pacific during WWII)
Cool phone!  ;)

Ward

Mark,

Would your rough guess place the vintage of this phone in the WW II era, or soon thereafter?

Ward

BDM

Quote from: Ward on September 26, 2008, 09:00:26 PM
Mark,

Would your rough guess place the vintage of this phone in the WW II era, or soon thereafter?

Ward

IMHO, without any doubt!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

I have a couple of these in their standard, non-military forms, and they're really great looking phones.  One is original, and the other is a 1970s secondary market refurb.   

If I'm not mistaken, the markings on the back indicate that this one was made to satisfy an order from the Philadelphia Quartermaster's Depot in 1951 (Korean war era).  The standard-issue version was very common in areas served by independent telephone companies (my older one was supplied by the Tidewater Telephone Company in Westmoreland County, Virginia).
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

Quote from: bingster on September 26, 2008, 11:21:26 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the markings on the back indicate that this one was made to satisfy an order from the Philadelphia Quartermaster's Depot in 1951 (Korean war era).  The standard-issue version was very common in areas served by independent telephone companies (my older one was supplied by the Tidewater Telephone Company in Westmoreland County, Virginia).

I think that bingster is right. I know that many of the Connecticut Telephone TP-6's are early '50s vintage as well, so it was no doubt in service during the Korean war. Very nice phone! Lots of Galion experience among the forum members in case you need help with it.