News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

3 Slot Payphone Coin Hopper ID - AE or WE/NE

Started by poplar1, May 18, 2016, 05:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Sonny has a few of these NOS coin hoppers. We thought they were for Automatic Electric 3-slot, but another Ebayer said he thinks they are NE or WE. Can anyone identify the maker? And are they for multi-slot of single slot phones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262432609225
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Stan S

poplar1

Stan S

An Automatic Electric hopper will fit in any 3-slot. A Western/Northern hopper won't fit in an Automatic Electric. The shape of the back of a Western/ Northern hopper won't clear the bottom of the bakelite terminal strip in an AE.

Why anybody would pay $22 for a hopper with no internal parts is beyond me. A complete hopper with all its parts is only worth $25.

Oh well?

poplar1

Stan, will the WE relays fit and work well with the AE hoppers?

Apparently, we have only one NE (with missing parts) and several AE (complete with coin trap). Guess we grabbed the wrong one for the photo shoot.

Stan S

Absolutely.
The coin relays are exactly the same.
I fact when AE started using single coil coin relays they bought them from Western Electric.

poplar1

mentalstampede

That looks exactly like the hopper in my NE QSD3A. In any case, the one pictured is certainly for a post-pay phone. Notice the screw fixing the vane in the collect direction for semi-postpay service?
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Stan S

Kenn
The entire payphone is an LPB82-55, it's a prepay phone. The hopper was stripped of all its internal parts. The coin vane was locked in the collect position with some sort of goop. Looks like silicone. See below.

Not really a hopper made for a postpay phone. More like a 3-slot destroyed for home use as a piggy bank.

Stan S,

mentalstampede

Stan,

I don't see any Goop in the photos poplar1 posted? Is there another post somewhere that this thread is following on?

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Stan S

I enlarged the front of the hopper in his picture.

mentalstampede

Yowza, that one sure is messed up! But that's not one of the pictures from the original post in this thread or the linked ebay auction... Is there some other thread that's from?
Or am I just having a brain fart?

I've attached the pic I am referring to-- this one is identical to the one in my NE QSD3A Semi-postpay.

Quote from: Stan S on May 27, 2016, 02:10:03 AM
I enlarged the front of the hopper in his picture.

Stan S

Kenn
The topic I thought I posted that picture to was:
QuoteRestoring my eBay purchase into a functional AE 3 slot Pay Phone

The hopper body in that auction was used in practically every 3-slot made by Western and Northern after 1959.

Stan S.

poplar1

Quote from: Stan S on June 17, 2016, 08:19:47 AM

The hopper body in that auction was used in practically every 3-slot made by Western and Northern after 1959.

Do you mean every prepay since 1959? This one (in 212G) looks different:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16266.msg168579#msg168579

Stan S

Hence the word 'practically' in my posting.

Stan S.