News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft plastic in 63?

Started by Willytx, January 07, 2012, 09:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willytx

After getting bored beating my computer with a stick, it's time for something fun.

I recently got a mutt black 500. The only reason I wanted it was because of the 6 different vermilion refurb dates on the base. Curiosity got the best of me.

The original date on the base has been painted over but I can make out a '4' where the month should be. Inside, the ringer is a C2A, dated 7-52. The adjustable gong has fallen off and there is no sign of the little clip.

The shell has a P 63 date in the little circle and '19-E' below that. I figured it is another ABS shell but the feel and dull thunk when I tap it makes me think otherwise. On the inside are more supporting ribs than a later shell. The rest of the phone is a hodgepodge of dates, nothing special. The 425B network has a pasted label on the side.

.Was WE still producing soft plastic shells in 63? Also, is there an easy way to remove the paint over the original date without going to bare metal?

McHeath

My understanding that is black 500 shells were still in soft plastic in 63'.  I think the end date for that was around 65'/66', not sure though.  You can try scraping the paint over the date with your fingernail at first, that worked for me once.  If not denatured alcohol might work, but be careful. 

Willytx

After spending some time with it, the shell is definitely soft plastic. The feel of it is like the difference between silver plate and sterling. ABS would be the plate.

I thought black soft plastic ended around 1960. There aren't any paint stamped dates, only the year done in the molding process. So I do finally have a soft plastic 500!
Thanks.

GG

Soft plastic housings are prone to warp if exposed to heat, which probably includes direct sunlight over a period of time.  So if you have a good one that's not warped, treat it carefully and keep it in a place that's not exposed to bright sunlight. 

For cleaning those, lukewarm mild soapy water only (use a soft sponge, and a dedicated toothbrush for tough dirt and corners etc.), and a lukewarm water rinse, wipe dry with a soft rag and then allow to air-dry until completely dry inside & out.  Don't use cleaning chemicals of any kind, including alcohol; some of those are known to cause that plastic to melt and dissolve. 

This is why WE eventually switched to ABS, and why soft plastic housings in good condition are rare.

Willytx

I washed it in warm water with just a little bleach in it. There was some whitish grey fuzz growing around the edges of dial hole and base. The mouthpiece cap looked like the phone belonged to a drooler :P

I did find the clip thingie that holds the adjustable gong in place. Once those are off can they be reattached? I can sort of get it on holding the parts in my hand but trying to do it with the ringer still in the phone isn't gonna work.

McHeath

A C2A ringer is early style, and I'm not sure what you mean by clip that holds the gong on.  Do you have a picture?

GG

That whitish-gray fuzz is what tempted me to run one of those through the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle ...thereby badly warping an otherwise perfect housing and adding up to a painful learning experience.  I don't know what the fuzz is but it also occurred on the dial numberplate.  That base now has a newer Kellogg housing on it. 

Anyway, it may just be that the fuzz requires periodic cleaning to keep it away.  I'd be careful about bleach too.  If someone here discovers a magic trick for making the fuzz go away permanently, that will be highly welcome news. 

Willytx

Quote from: McHeath on January 10, 2012, 10:11:53 AM
A C2A ringer is early style, and I'm not sure what you mean by clip that holds the gong on.  Do you have a picture?

It looks like the gong is installed into the ringer assembly using some sort of press, so not easily repairable. The clip must function like a collar, to prevent the shaft from spreading too much during installation and as a stop to keep the ringer adjustment from turning too far.

Willytx

Forgot to add, the second photo is a different phone.