News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT Cinderella modular adapter wire hook up

Started by Lee58, September 13, 2016, 06:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee58

Please help. I have a New Old Stock ITT Cinderella and I am attaching an adapter plug. This has six spade wires on the line cord. More than I am used to.
How would I attach? thank you

jsowers

Red and green would be the phone line. You didn't say if it was TT or Rotary, but the older TT models are polarity sensitive and you may have to swap red and green at the adapter before it will dial out. You get a dial tone either way, but it only dials out one way. Rotary doesn't matter.

The lamp will be a bit more difficult to determine. I don't have an NE Contessa like yours. Mine is a later model touch-tone and has the wires for the lamp connected at terminals 3 and 4 inside the phone It has a circuit board and push-on spade terminals. A very odd beast if you're used to the WE Princess. It did come from Canada.

You could try hooking the 6VAC lamp adapter to the yellow and black wires briefly to see if the lamp lights. If that doesn't work, then try white and black. Just a brief touch should tell you. You can also open the case of the Contessa, remove the dial (just two screws) and trace the wires down if you're able to do that.

Please don't cut off the other spaded wires on the end of your cord. Try to tape them up and stuff them inside the plug or jack you use. You can use a regular wall-mount phone jack connected to the phone and then a two-wire modular cord to your house wiring, connecting the AC adapter to the jack you connected the phone to. That way the AC voltage won't get back to your phone jack, just in case you have a second line or something digital connected to yellow and black in your house.

Sorry I couldn't be of more specific help. If you're confused, I can explain further or find a diagram. Others may chime in. Welcome to the Forum!
Jonathan

Lee58

Result Thank you so much. 
I have a starlight with 4 wires yellow,green,black and red. It seams that the black and red give dial tone. What do I do with the other 2?

jsowers

You're welcome. You may not have wanted to know about the lamp wiring, but it's nice to have a light in there if you use it at night. I have an ivory 702 Princess beside my bed and I will always like that lighted dial.

I answered your Starlite question in the thread you started on it, which if you wanted to know, was how they like to do things around here. Starlites make nice bedside phones too, but I need the ring in the Princess phone to wake me up if need be.
Jonathan

Lee58

Of course it is all about the light. Thank you so much.
And yes after I wrote that I realized I should have started a new thread.