News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Other items made of Tenite...

Started by JohnInWI, December 06, 2013, 01:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnInWI

This is a 1939 ad for Tenite.  I remember playing one of these Tonettes in music class in elementary school.  (late 1950's early 1960's).

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

Westclox Moonbeam cases were made of tenite.  So were some Pennwood/Numechron clock cases.

Larry

Contempra

I had a lot of Westclox now sold ....but I can't tell you Larry if it was in tenite I don't know  but I had about20 cloks branded Westclox made in Canada and USA. i have my Pocket watches ... Scotty, Pocket Ben, Dax..

LarryInMichigan

I bought a lot of two Moonbeams a while back, fixed them up, and resold one.  They are definitely tenite.  The Pennwood Moderne has a tenite case.  One other Pennwood, whose model name I forget, has a tenite case, but of the hundreds of other electric clocks I have, I cannot recall any others having tenite cases.  The plastic ones are mostly bakelite, plaskon, or catalin.

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

OOOOHHH!!! A rare Mediterranean blue in soft plastic!!! :P
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul-f

More other items...

JohnInWI

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 06, 2013, 02:18:58 PM
Isn't that a Kazoo ???

No, it's more of a whistle like instrument.  A kazoo has a vibrating diaphragm that is played while humming a tune.

JohnInWI

Quote from: paul-f on December 06, 2013, 02:21:02 PM
How did it taste?   ???   :o

I don't recall it having any particular taste. According to the ad it's "odorless and tasteless".

JorgeAmely

I have in my tool box some old Sears screwdrivers with handles made of Tenite. I call tell by the smell.
Jorge

jsowers

Over the years I remember seeing yellow handled screwdrivers with moldy handles and I bet those were Tenite. They molded just like the dial faces on certain soft plastic phones.

I have a phone collecting friend who said the plastic Kodak developing trays he used in amateur photography were Tenite. Which would stand to reason since Eastman Kodak produced Tenite.
Jonathan

paul-f

Even more other items...

twocvbloke

Quote from: paul-f on December 06, 2013, 07:22:36 PM
More other items...

I can't help but imagine those GIs there playing this theme tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxamCCjDl3Q

(and for those who know morse code, that theme is apparently the title of the show in morse code!!)

paul-f

While doing some spring cleaning, I ran across some souvenirs from college summer jobs at Eastmen Kodak in Rochester, NY.

One job involved doing installation and maintenance work on electrical controls for the production equipment that coated photographic paper with plastic.  They're still apparently using a similar process for plastic coating:
  http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Industrial_Materials_Group_LHN/Coating_and_Testing_Services/Pilot_Coating_Facilities/Intermediate_Scale_Extrusion_Coater.htm

Once the extruders were running, the plastic had to keep flowing.  The extruders and die heads were HOT.  If the paper had to be stopped, the plastic was collected in waste trays to be recycled.  Occasionally the trays filled to overflowing and interesting patterns were created.

The large piece shows the usual color deterioration with UV exposure after several decades of display.