News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

An awesome Antique shop find!

Started by RB, October 25, 2017, 09:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Want to show you what I picked up last nite.
went  to a small consignment Antique store, and WOW! not one, not two, but 3 magneto phones. ;D "Happy dance inserted here."
I am gonna need some wisdom here, as I have not encountered any of the types we have here.
The 2 piece, I think is Kellogg, but not much info . tr=2 k ohm, rec=45 ohm, bells=500 ohm.
The 1 Piece, I think also Kellogg, tr=5 ohm, rec=50 ohm, bells=2500 ohm. it has Type 315 A stamped inside the door.
The military phone, besides the label, I know nuthin yet.
It is clean! they all are pretty clean...dusty, a couple spiders, now dead.  but clean. and the wiring seems heavy too, my other phones are not wired so heavy.??
That's all I have so far. Any info will be thankfully absorbed. :)
Did I do good?

dsk

Great find, I have been looking for one field telephone like that here because shipping from USA sometimes kills the good feeling.
I have the older version TA-43/PT  on this manual you will see a pretty good circuit analyses for circuit. They are more the same, but the 312 has a jack and a selector that the 43 don't have.

For your field telephone: http://tinyurl.com/y8wbzlyk
http://tinyurl.com/yd3yoqyb

Fort the TA-43 with the good circuit anlaycis:  http://tinyurl.com/y8ye56mn

dsk

RB

Thank you dsk! I was shocked, pleasantly shocked to find them.

andy1702

Quote from: RB on October 25, 2017, 09:14:02 AM
Want to show you what I picked up last nite.
went  to a small consignment Antique store, and WOW! not one, not two, but 3 magneto phones. ;D "Happy dance inserted here."
I am gonna need some wisdom here, as I have not encountered any of the types we have here.
The 2 piece, I think is Kellogg, but not much info . tr=2 k ohm, rec=45 ohm, bells=500 ohm.
The 1 Piece, I think also Kellogg, tr=5 ohm, rec=50 ohm, bells=2500 ohm. it has Type 315 A stamped inside the door.
The military phone, besides the label, I know nuthin yet.
It is clean! they all are pretty clean...dusty, a couple spiders, now dead.  but clean. and the wiring seems heavy too, my other phones are not wired so heavy.??
That's all I have so far. Any info will be thankfully absorbed. :)
Did I do good?

Weahher or not you did  good probably depends on the price. In general magneto phones are not as valuable as others because they can't be easily wired up to a line and used. I have a couple of similar but not identical military field phones of a type common here in the UK. The ones I have were also used by the GPO as linesmen's phones. They normally go for between £10-£20. The others I don't have much frame of reference for I'm afraid.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

dsk

The 2 others are probably more for a collector, the field telephone is interesting in hence of solutions, combined CB, LB and CB with LB talking. With an adapter you may get touch tone signalling, and it was used for remote control of radio-sets.  The only weak point I have observed in this construction is the hook switch contact who may need adjustments every 20 years or so.

For my TA-43 I have made a rotary adapter: 
http://tinyurl.com/yc9gx424

dsk

dsk

Quote from: andy1702 on October 25, 2017, 01:28:14 PM
Weahher or not you did  good probably depends on the price. In general magneto phones are not as valuable as others because they can't be easily wired up to a line and used. I have a couple of similar but not identical military field phones of a type common here in the UK. The ones I have were also used by the GPO as linesmen's phones. They normally go for between £10-£20. The others I don't have much frame of reference for I'm afraid.

I would say if you feel good it may be good, you will by yourselves evaluate the economic part. As Andy said for the moment the magnetos are less popular, but I have observed that more and more people are living with only cellphones and then the magnetos in small numbers may easily be connected to each other with a pair of wires, ore even a fence wire on insulators, and ground return, so that may be the trend.

dsk

RB

They ran me rite at $30 each...a steal for these parts :D
there were a few CB phones listed much higher, I passed on those.
My phones are all local only, I do not even have a pots line anymore.\
At some point, I will add a front end, and connect to my network for internet calling, but thats down the road a bit.

RB

I had not thot about fence wire, what a great idea! farm to farm comm ;D
not so good in town tho...
With all the dead copper still hangin around, maybe somebody will lease it, for small networks?

dsk

When I was 20, and a friend of the caretaker in our block, I wired up a network to several others. Using my own wire, door-telephone wires, and abandoned wires.

dsk

RB

clever! I bet you were the star of the show!
I used a 100 foot extension cord, to bring stereo out to the yard. I was about 10 or 11

dsk

That is a proof of good environment to grow up in, or doing the best of how it was.
It's a good way of learning.  As a boy I did not understand why I could not start a car with electricity over a tiny wire, it was 12 V. Had no understanding of current and wire sizes.  ;D   My father did not understand electricity or technology so I had to find out of things my selves.  The understanding about the risks, and safety is partly learned the hard way  ;)

dsk

HarrySmith

Have'nt we all learned the hard way?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"