News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Protel Pay Phone with issues

Started by Sigmaz, December 19, 2017, 11:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_m

code is 1860*  some firmwares this actually turns off the modem.

go off hook push program button should get beep, if not hang up then go hook push prog button again......no beep you didnt get into LOCAL programming.

DIAL 1860* should get beep hangup done. The modem in the Protel is set to 300 baud ......BUT I know expressent may be problematic if you don't allow 300 baud, - payphone_installer not sure if yours allows either.  I never could get mine to connet either way with OOMA or Spectrum VoIP service period, to yours or anyone elses for that matter on the two VoIP services i have.

FYI 1861* is 1200 baud. (and some firmwares enables to max 1200 - some sets try 1200 then 600, then 300 automatically, however the calling computer must allow all, and i dont recall if expressnet allows auto baud or not been to long, payphone installer may know.) 

If you dont care about rate tables for the diffrent bands, and just want to charge x for x mins the factory default program may be used, with some initial keypad programming on both 7000 and 8000 boards, but the 8000 board overall is the better board.  the challenge is if you have custom firmware in your board, and you may not have the default rate table, local base programming ability, and many protels were OEMed and done for a specific third party, hence custom firmware.

payphone_installer can add his commentary as well, but its fairly easy** to make it charge for example 25 cents for all calls in all bands from the keypad.  you CANNOT decide based on bands tho what to charge WITHOUT the rate table from expressnet being uploaded to the phone period, and newer area codes would definately not be defined in the base firmware so some number may not even be dialable youll get i think error 52 dont recall, all the error codes are in the pocket reference i posted for both 7000 & 8000 boards.  **IF YOUR FIRMWARE IS CUSTOM OR LOCKED, YOUR OUT OF LUCK GENERALLY, but expressnet if i recal can reflash - hence send new firmware, but again if yours is LOCKED, its LOCKED it cannot be UNLOCKED.

you can validate you have the modem in yours as not all actually have a modem read the quick reference guide i posted for both 7000 and 8000 boards for instructions.

Side comments VoIP lines were NEVER intended for legacy data transfers, the propergational delays will cause problems period.  For example call from your cell phone to you VoIP line and youll bee amazed in the delay.  Modem technoligy from the 70/80s expects true loop start lines from the telco that have published expected standard to reliable transmit data, and the modems in that time were desigend specific to real bell specs, accounting for their propergational delay, which is NOTHING like what you'll experience with VoIP / Inet Phones, Cell phones etc. why you think 56k modems useless today, they will absoultly NEVER work on VoIP lines, not that any one uses it now anyways.  Additionally, triditional ANALOG lines (POTS) are NOT the same as todays DIGIAL lines, yerteryears modems may or may not operate properlly.  FAXs generally still work but at slower BAUD on todays VoIP lines, thats because the protocal has lots more error correction / detection in it.  Alarm systems in general also work if the current-loop is correct, but thats even problematic for a 30 year old alarm system.

Another example of propergational delay, turn2 tvs on same channel, hooked to diffrent cable boxes in your house if you have digital cable, your hear delays between the diffrent sets..... ;D

tallrick

I had the ability to connects to all 6 of my pay phones over my home PBX system. Was getting totals of money entered, programmed speed dials and enabled ringers and allowed answering. Then last week the computer running Expressnet simply stopped communicating with the modem. It just disables the port. Have been able to get Kermit to work over my local system but then it even ws unable to connect with t he modem. Modem worked fine on another PC. I need to stick another motherboard and see if it starts working again. The PBX is Asterisk with a T1 card and an Adtran channel bank.

robert_m

Quote from: Sigmaz on December 19, 2017, 02:35:42 PM
But this brings up a couple of good question that probably only a few here can answer..

What makes the Protel UPMS1200 so much different than a standard Hayes compatible modem?
Can protel phones in fact be programmed by "run of the mill" modems?

I see in ExpressNet that you can select an "Other" type of modem..
Will selecting this option and defining a standard INIT string do the trick? or is a Protel Modem really necessary?

-jon

Hayes compatible modems will never work.

The protocol and specs are different, additionally, the Protel modem protocol was specifically for the embedded Protel modem in the phone.  Payphone_installer can further comment on that point.

robert_m

Quote from: Payphone411 on December 22, 2017, 08:50:55 PM
Expressnet will run on Windows98 SE and below in DOS mode.
That's what I run on.

Yes, Express Net will work on DOS, 98 (in DOS compatibility mode), and Vista.  I have not tried in/on anything else since my legitimate purchase install computer failed and I lost media years ago.  I suspect it would work in XP as well in compatibility mode, but no way for me to confirm. And, frankly, all NT, XP, VISTA, and 98 software are filled with security exposures so I would never connect them to the internet as you will get hacked!

tallrick

I do remember there were commands to initialize the 7000 boards to work with regular modems, I know because two of my payphones have 7000 boards in GTE housings and they worked fine with my  Hayes 1200 smartmodem. Not sure if it is limited to specific software. Actually there has to be a way to emulate the Protel modem