News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I let go of an old piece of personal memorabilia today...

Started by KeithB, October 24, 2010, 09:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithB

I've had in my possession since the late 1970s a primitive hand-made table, built by my grandfather and given to me by my grandmother.  It was the table where Paw butchered hogs, calves, and chickens.  It was the table where he served Sunday lunch for the whole family, and where Maw did all her cutting and sewing.  Simply put, it's held a helluva lot of history and sentimental value for me all my life.  But, it was a very low table, as Maw was a typical short French woman.  It was also the perfect height for Paw to butcher upon, even though he was much taller.  My grandfather passed away when I wasn't even a teenager, and my dad passed away in the mid 1990s, but my grandmother just passed away a few weeks ago.  With her passing, I admitted today the table didn't hold as many memories for me, anymore.  The most valuable things I have from my father and my grandparents are a love of fine Cajun and Creole cooking and sharing it with others, and that's something no single artifact can contain. Tonight I removed the top boards and fold-down wings from the table and saved them.  I disassembled the frame and legs and they'll be disposed of this week.  The saved boards from the top and wings will be planed, sized, and used for some future project.

So, one artifact is gone. But a new one is soon taking its place in the shed behind my garage. 

Saturday I drove almost four hours from Charlotte, NC to ten miles south of the Atlanta airport and picked up a 1940s vintage Southern Bell wooden phone booth.  ;D  This week I need to take detailed measurements and pictures before disassembling it and starting the restoration work.

bingster

Gosh, Keith, I don't think I could have done it.  But then I tend to be over-sentimental about such things.
= DARRIN =

AE_Collector

Quote from: bingster on October 24, 2010, 10:16:35 PM
Gosh, Keith, I don't think I could have done it.  But then I tend to be over-sentimental about such things.

Yeah, me too.

I'd *not* throw anything out quite yet and think about it a bit longer, just in case. I've had a couple (or more) of "what was I thinking" instances lately!

On the other hand though, dejunking so that you have room for the things you really like is good too! And making things out of the old parts is a great way to ensure that  you hang onto the memories.

Terry

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

KeithB

Thanks everyone. 

Dan/Panther, I've been concerned with regretting it for over twenty years.  I seriously weighed all the factors and decided my greatest family asset is my heritage and as such, intangible.  How I continue to live my life and share that heritage with others is a much greater asset than any single item I can keep. 

As one example, I'll give everyone a link to a recipe for New Orleans Creole pot roast.  This recipe is simple but unbelievably rich, and the same way my grandfather prepared pot roast for Sunday lunches.  I prepared this several times earlier this year to feed the staff at my favorite community college radio station, as well as my best friends at work.  With the weather getting cooler it's definitely time to prepare another batch.  The flavor when this is prepared as a sandwich with mayonnaise, mustard, lettuce, and pickles is incredible.

Roast Beef Po-Boy w/Debris Gravy [nolacuisine.com]

I use a black cast iron deep skillet, designed for frying chicken.  Cast iron is perfect for searing the outside of the roast and maintaining the steady heat that makes the chuck roast tender.  I also tend to stuff the roast with loads of fresh garlic, as roasted garlic is what makes the dish, and it's what we love to taste.  Roasted garlic provides a milder, more complex flavor than other methods.  I roast it in a 350 oven for two hours, then place it in a crock pot to serve.

Russ Kirk

My wife and I had similar discussions.  

I wanted to save everything for my heirs and future generations.  
But she had asked me some simple questions,  Why?

•   If the reason to save it is to enjoy now – personally – then keep it.
•   Or pass it along to another person. In my case it would be my daughter.  I know she would not want it nor be able to store it, and may not truly appreciate it for a decade or two.
•   Give it to another relative.  Those money hungry ^%$%^$& !!! Naw, they would just sell it anyway like they have done to many other "family heirlooms".
•   Send/sell the item to a buyer for their enjoyment.

Not everything can be saved for ever, nor should it.  Heck we see that in old cars all the time. One is cannibalized for parts to restore another. An old wooden furniture is the most difficult to keep in good condition until it get to be worth a lot of money.

Case in point....
I had an old military uniform from the Spanish American war that was my Grandfather's.
I did not want it nor appreciate the heirloom importance.  
No other relative wanted it.
So I found a collector of military items that had an antique store.
I ended trading it to him for other items and some cash ( placed the cash in my daughter's savings account for college.)
I was very pleased to see it go to a person that would love and appreciate it as much as do my phones.
I did the same to some very rare Boy Scout patches from the 30's.

You can't take it with you when you pass on. So many times I see estate sales when the people are gone and their prized possessions and sold for pennies or trashed.
Heck, this is how I get my antiques and old phones now.
I am only a caretaker of my possessions until the next owner.

My point is this – it is yours to with what you want.
You have saved the most important part that no one can take – the good memories.
I would not regret anything......

I'll get off my soapbox.....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

bwanna

keith, i have to admit, my first reaction was horror! but, on reflection you are probably right. i am a sentimental saver. i have possession of all our family "heirlooms" nothing of great monetary value. common sense tells me i cannot expect my son to take charge of all of it when i am gone. i have 3 neices & 1 nephew. at some point in time i will offer each of them their choice of these items. the rest i hope will find a home with another family who will cherish it.

side note on the same topic. my step-dad recently inherited his grandpa's violin. he doesn't play & none of his kids have an interest in "family" stuff. for years he & my ma have followed a local entertainer who plays the fiddle. they gave the violin to him. he tuned it up & recorded an album with it.
donna

McHeath

This is a tricky thing, dealing with the sentimental things that have been handed down to us.  My esposita is of the mindset that things ought to be used to be enjoyed, while I was always more of a stuff it away in a closet and smile knowing it's in there.

I've tried doing more actual use of some my heirloom items and have found it to be enjoyable for myself to be using them as they were intended.  Not everything can be used of course, some stuff is too fragile.  And I've worked at what to keep and let go of as well.  Russkirk's grandfather's military uniform from the Spanish American war is an interesting case study, sometimes items that don't have a lot of connection to us can certainly be enjoyed by another.  I have few things from my grandparents on either side, but quite a lot from my dad even though he died 15 years ago.  (he had a lot of stuff he left me) 

Pretty sure that once I go a lot, if not almost all, of my collections of things will end up on tables at the yard sale.  And that's okay for me, just because it was my deal does not mean the descendants need to be into it as well for me.   

KeithB

Quote from: bingster on October 24, 2010, 10:16:35 PMGosh, Keith, I don't think I could have done it.
Quote from: ae_collector on October 24, 2010, 10:30:11 PMI'd *not* throw anything out quite yet and think about it a bit longer, just in case.
Quote from: McHeath on October 25, 2010, 10:01:20 PMThis is a tricky thing, dealing with the sentimental things that have been handed down to us.  My esposita is of the mindset that things ought to be used to be enjoyed, while I was always more of a stuff it away in a closet and smile knowing it's in there.

McHeath (and everyone else!) you'll be happy to know I sent the center board from the table-top home with a co-worker earlier this week.  He has pro-grade woodworking tools in his shop at home, one being a Performax 10-inch wide drum sander.  He sent the board through one pass, then another, to see how it looked.  Other than the original bow/curve of the board leaving a few low spots unsanded near the corners, I have to say it has a much more beautiful grain than I could ever see.  I'll be removing the hinges from the remaining boards and wings this weekend, and sending them all to him for sanding.  We haven't decided what to make from this over-60 year old southern pine, but we've considered making a headboard for the bedroom.  Much like the old-growth quarter-sawn oak you can't find any longer, this pine has a fine grain and beautiful color.

I'll post a picture when I get it home with the camera this evening.