News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial tone

Started by T65MC80, July 19, 2009, 05:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T65MC80

Well, after cleaning and lubrication, the dial is now working properly and I am able to dial out. Many thanks to everyone for their very helpful advice and suggestions.

One more thing I would like to ask. I am trying to get the ringer to work but am not having much luck. It worked once or twice while I was trying to figure out the correct wiring but now it remains silent. Any ideas?

bingster

Given the condition of the wiring in the subset photos, it wouldn't surprise me if there are internal breaks in the wiring.  It could be that the couple times it rang, the wiring was positioned "just so" and it worked.  Any further movement of the wiring could have easily disabled the ringer.  That's if you're sure it's wired the same as it was when it last rang.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

I second Bingster's idea about the wiring, it looks pretty worn and I've had wires with internal breaks. 

Phonesrfun

If you are able to make and receive calls, and dial properly, then despite the worn condition of the cords, the ringer should ring.  I agree, by the way that the cords are pretty sad looking and should be replaced, but based on the description, they don't seem to be the problem.

-Bill
-Bill G

T65MC80

I do agree that the wires are pretty worn and I will order new ones, but something seems amiss. I discovered that when I make calls to the house the ringer DOES in fact function properly when the mounting cord is not fully hooked up. I can place any two of the mounting cords on the subset and it will ring but if I so much as touch the final mounting plate with the final wire it will cease to ring. 

bingster

That sounds like a short inside the mounting cord.  One conductor is probably shorting to another. 
= DARRIN =