and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Look at this poor 5300-series!

Started by deedubya3800, October 09, 2010, 06:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150491348733
( dead link 02-01-22 )

What is wrong with this phone? It looks horrible! And plus, it has no dial! But look at those feet! Where did those come from?! Things don't look so bad on the inside, though. It looks like it was built to be a manual-dial. Have you ever seen such? I guess the 5302 was never intended for manual-dial, as there is no "blank" version of the number ring. I have, however, noticed one with a dial plate that was white with black dots. Seems like that should have gone on the rare white 5302.

baldopeacock

Spider webs included at no extra charge.

However, look at the back side of that blank.   I think it's ivory.

deedubya3800

You know, I just spotted that after I posted. Is that an ivory 302 dial blank painted black?

Jim Stettler

did you notice those are screw on feet? Probably made for the 5302 as replacements.
They are usually standard 302 feet. I have also seen neoprene triangle feet.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

deedubya3800

The feet themselves look a lot like later-model 500 feet, but yes, those do like screws holding them on.

bingster

Quote from: deedubya3800 on October 09, 2010, 07:08:26 PM
You know, I just spotted that after I posted. Is that an ivory 302 dial blank painted black?

This particular blank is made up of two pieces.  It's got a black painted metal front, attached to a plain metal back.  What you're seeing is the gold-colored metal back.
= DARRIN =

deedubya3800

Ah, thank you. I've never had a blank dial of any sort, so I wouldn't have known. :)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: deedubya3800 on October 09, 2010, 07:31:16 PM
The feet themselves look a lot like later-model 500 feet, but yes, those do like screws holding them on.

I think they are the same as the screw on 500 feet. Screw on 500 feet came in round and triangular.
You don't see many of the screw on feet.  and sometimes they dont match the other feet on the set.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

There was apparently a need out there.  A few have had a coat of black paint over the white numbers and letters.

The use of non-WE apparatus blanks in some cases suggests the dirty work was done by independents.

Here are a few other photos from past auctions.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line