News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

For the AE / WE collector on a limited budget!!

Started by AE_Collector, April 24, 2011, 11:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Here's a bargain if you are on a limited budget or are extremely short of space! (Hint: AE Styleline Base and Trimline Handset)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-GTE-Styleline-Automatic-Electric-Telephone-/180656732916

Terry

JorgeAmely

Jorge

GG

That Trimline handset isn't WE.  My first thought is ITT due to the clear dial center with the white card behind it.  Possibly ITT Spain, which made a lot of those for a while. 

AE_Collector

I know very little about trimlines. I wondered if the colored dial centre is just missing and the clear part is the fingerwheel showing that would normally be covered by the snap in colored centre?

Terry

Jim Stettler

I agree with GG , that is an ITT handset. They were typically clear dial centers.
ISTR that SC were colored with a raised round circle. WE color matched the phone, there were several styles including the bell emblem and also "western Electric".

On SC Swirlee's (swirled trimlines) the dial center should match the phone  for the brown, red, green, and yellow. If the dial center doesn't match, then it is probably swirled plastics on a donor phone.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

GG

Terry - It's a clear dial center and that's a card behind it; if you look closely you'll see the three little tabs around the outside of the circle where they fit into the notches on the fingerwheel.  I've seen those handsets before.   I thought they were cool that way because one could use that blank space for additional information such as "dial 9 for outside line" or "Emergency, dial 9-911" on PBXs. 

If the dial center was missing, what you'd see behind it would be a little metal thingie that had three legs, that held the fingerwheel in place.  Rotating the metal thingie so the legs lined up with three plastic protrusions from the dial axle, would enable the fingerwheel to be removed.  NOTE: Be Careful when doing this; if the fingerstop comes loose, the dial spring will slowly and inconveniently unwind, and you will have to wind it back up again to the correct tension.  (OTOH that's better than the explosive-like "boing!" when the spring on an Ericsson dial gets loose, which can be a hazard to unprotected skin & eyes as it goes, and is a Royal Pain the the Rear to put back again.) 

Also, in a way it's reminiscent of the old-old GPO-UK dials with the small dial centers.