News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1941 Ivory 302 - looks like a contest possibility

Started by baldopeacock, November 19, 2010, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

Nice example of the early color 302, with body-color plungers etc... it also looks like the thick fingerwheel is in place.  Pics show 1st quarter '41 dates.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Electric-Ivory-302-Exceptional-Early-41-Model-/280591596015
( dead link 12-06-21 )

It will definitely bring at least $250, since that is where the bidding began and there's a bid in place.

Here's a clip of the ad copy:

This has to be highly desireable.  Unbelievable condition, the bells still show a beautiful brass, all parts original, and one very special interesting feature.....unlike the clear plastic switch hook buttons most color 302's have.....these are ivory to match !

Dated inside and on all parts 1941....and the red Western Electric stamp with the date is in tact on the inside of the plastic case.  Even the dial card has the original  Parkway 8 - 4111.

The photos speak for themselves.  I have tried to photogragh it well. You won't find any chips or cracks.  There may be one tiny scuff mark and one tiny black mark on the back....but otherwise this is like right out of the box !  No receiver cracks!  If there are any specific photo angles you desire, please ask, include your email and allow me a day to get them to you.

I have replaced the original cloth cords with beautiful new ivory cloth cords and there is a modular plug.  It works !  Beautiful ring.  Something for you to enjoy right away.  It is a beauty !  You can picture this in a Hollywood movie or on your nightstand.

I aquired this phone about 6 years ago, and it has been in a display case every since.

bingster

= DARRIN =

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

It is a beautiful phone BUT... the hookswitch cover looks thermoplastic and not the painted metal the the pre-war color sets are supposed to have. I know, minor. New cords, disappointing. I know its pre-war, but it looks doctored. I do love the vermilion stamp by the hookswitch inside. This is a lot of money for a Ivory set that is not all original. I'd like to see the date on the dial (is it a 5J), the dial plate and the receiver module. Date on the base in unreadable. I think the one that deedubya has is a better representation in my humble opinion....Doug
Kidphone

baldopeacock

If that is the thick, early plastic fingerwheel, it's the first one I've actually seen, photo or otherwise.   I was thinking that the earliest color 302s had a much thicker fingerwheel than the post-war sets.

It looks unusually thick in the photo, but I'm not sure.

cchaven

That is a lovely 302...I already have an ivory from '51 which is a bit more yellow than that but otherwise in very nice shape, so no bidding on it from me...but it is beautiful!

Jeff

deedubya3800

The replaced cords is a shame, unless the originals could at least be included in the package. The finger wheel does look awful thick, but it's really pretty. I believe this is the first pre-war colored set I've seen since mine. Looking at the inside pics, I'm not so sure the filler plate isn't painted metal.

The date stamp inside the shell says "5 1741 59055". I'm guessing that means May 17, 1941. I have to wonder what the 59055 signifies. The stamp on mine, which is is on the front lower edge of the shell rather than up on the back, reads "3 2342 60004".

As for the date stamp on the base plate, I can tell it's something of 41, but I can't tell if it's a 5, 6, or 8. I'm hoping 5. The seller should invest in a tripod.

It is a beautiful telephone. It may be worth $250. Mine went for $315. An excellent ivory 354 just went this afternoon for $305.

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

deedubya3800

Apparently someone else likes it too. A lot. This white chocolate beauty sold for $448!!!! I never would have guessed! Now I really feel lucky my seller couldn't spell well. Maybe I should try to sell mine? Nah, I can't. I'm still in love with her!

baldopeacock

Quote from: deedubya3800 on November 25, 2010, 08:29:27 PM
Apparently someone else likes it too. A lot. This white chocolate beauty sold for $448!!!! I never would have guessed! Now I really feel lucky my seller couldn't spell well. Maybe I should try to sell mine? Nah, I can't. I'm still in love with her!

I saw ETS79 this weekend in Illinois.  He's the buyer.   

ETS1979

I am the lucky winner of this auction.  I received the Ivory 302 today.  It is probably even a little better than I hoped.  There are cracks, though, on the handset caps and on the back near the top of the phone.  They are minor and very common on plastic 302's.  It is near NOS quality with almost no wear marks anywhere.

It has all the correct features.

Solid handsed
Metal insert on back
Thick fingerwheel  (Check the unique attachment method)
Solid color plungers
ALL date codes match early 1941 (Dial date code is visible if I look up under the gasket)

I have posted a couple more photos under the "cracked blue 302" topic (general discussion)

Dan

WOW!  I just received my 1949 ivory today. I'll post pics later. Yours is a beauty. It will be cool to show the differences via pics. You have to be pleased with it's pristine condition!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jester

Love that early fingerwheel & pristine dial plate!!!  I'd like to find one someday.
Stephen

Doug Rose

ETS....Beautiful phone, better than the auction pictures showed. How do you remove the Finger wheel. Is is by the nut that is pictured? If, so, how did you remove the dial card? Would you be so kind to show a picture of the finger wheel off the phone with a standard clear finger wheel next to it....great phone!......Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

The latch for removing the finger wheel on the 5J dial is different than any other WE plastic dial finger wheel.  You do not remove the nut.  THere is a little tag on the underside of the finger wheel at about the position of hole # 7 or 8 that is moved with a very narrow scew driver or some other flat and thin object.  You also have to be very, very careful not to booger up the white paint on the edge of the 5J dial housing.  Somewhere there is a diagram of the finger wheel removal on a 5J.

-Bill G