News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Glad to be here! "finlover"

Started by finlover, May 18, 2009, 12:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Finlover, I see we'll be fast friends!  I was hoping that's wehre your name came from.

- Tom

My Project, 1958 Chevy Delray
- Tom

Dan/Panther

Here's a picture of my finned beauty, however long gone from my driveway.
Notice the date of the photo. The car was ONLY 10 Years old at the time, but even then a classic. ??? i paid $750.00, out the door.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

finlover

Tom, I think it's so cool that you appreciate the '50s aesthetic at your age.  You yourself look like you just stepped out of my dad's 1957 high school yearbook!  I grew up in the absolute dark ages of industrial design--the late '70s/ early '80s, when products were flimsy and shoddily made and it seemed that everything was covered in simulated woodgrain.  Objects of the '50s were all clean lines and bright colors, and built like a tank!

Wouldn't it be wonderful to travel back in time to the '50s and just look around (and maybe buy some stuff)?  On the other hand, we would probably find society too oppressive and conservative.  So by surrounding ourselves with a few treasured objects from that time we really have the best of both the mid- and 21st century worlds!

Of course I love your Chevys.  The great thing about restoring them is that practically every part is reproduced.  What color will you paint the Del Ray?  Or are you going rockabilly with it--black primer, pinstripes and red wheels?

finlover

Wow, what a great car, Dan!  It doesn't get any more iconic than that.  My dad had a '55 Olds Super 88 2 door hardtop in turquoise and white that he bought in 1971 that was the proverbial little old lady car.  He still regrets selling that one, but at the time it was just a used car.

McHeath

Gee finlover, you car is like your phones, so clean and shiny and perfect that it's unreal.  Nicely done.

My style tastes run more towards the 60's when stuff got sleeker, I guess that's why my favorite vintage TV show is Star Trek.  I also have a fondness for Googie, which was in the 50's as well, with it's over the top space era design. 

The late 70's and 80's is a difficult time to care for by those of us who grew up in it, sorta like that for a lot of folks I think about whatever time they grew up in.  I work with a teacher who is about 10 years older than me, and he was in another country from about 1980 to 2003, and he left all his clothes of the day at home when he left America.  Now that he's back he wears all that old stuff daily to work, thick old school polyester pants and shirts and ties, skinny tight bell bottom polyester slacks, wide 70's striped ties, crazy patterns, etc.  (Yeah he still fits in it all)  The kids think he is the coolest for wearing that stuff, it's so very late 70's.  A few years ago I would not have cared for it, but now I'm looking at it all differently and seeing the coolness there as well.  And my parents Mustang II they bought in 74', and it's now rare to see one alive and still on the road, suddenly is looking more interesting as well.

mienaichizu

oh my, you got a really nice car finlover :o

Dan

Hey finlover, here's an example of someone plagarizing your good phone descriptions

http://tinyurl.com/r5xcdv

PS any of you guys know the AE dial mechanism does NOT make a schck-whirr sound as she said, they are really rather silent!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

finlover

Thanks a million for watching my back, Dan!  I have reported her and hopefully her auction will be pulled.  The crazy thing is that she's not a bad writer on her own!  Why she gotta do me like that?

HobieSport

Good catch Dan.  Why don't they just write their own descriptions?  Easier to just cut and paste from others descriptions even if they don't apply?  Argh. Or should I say "tsk tsk and schck-whirr".

Dan

Quote from: finlover on May 20, 2009, 08:22:31 PM
Thanks a million for watching my back, Dan!  I have reported her and hopefully her auction will be pulled.  The crazy thing is that she's not a bad writer on her own!  Why she gotta do me like that?

No problem, I really like your turquoise WE500  you have up right now too!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

finlover

Thanks, Dan!  I think it will make someone happy. 

Unfortunately, the person at eBay reviewing my case didn't see enough similarity between the AE auction and my previous pink ones to bust that lady. :(  The problem is that she lifted most of my stuff from an auction that's not in their system anymore.  I contacted her directly so she knows I'm onto her.  Maybe she'll stop after this.

benhutcherson

finlover,

Absolutely beautiful car, and of course your telephones are gorgeous as well.

AET

D/P, I wish I had your 57!!! WOW!!! 

Finlover, thank you for the compliment.  I think I coulda made it back then rather well.  I'm so conservative that I've been called puritanical! 

Though I'm a fan of simulated woodgrain (you've all seen my station wagon) things were definately not built well during that era, where stuff from the 50's, I think it was built to survive a nuclear attack.  Who needs a bomb-shelter.  Just surround yourself in your well-built american posessions!
- Tom

finlover

For you old car nuts, I posted better photos of my '59 Olds on page 2 of this thread.  If anyone finds a metallic mauve phone out there, let me know, will you?

AET

Finlover, if you ever need a car sitter, call me up!
- Tom