News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

White House Dial Card

Started by jpbales, April 14, 2019, 04:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpbales

I visited the Rural Georgia Telephone Museum a few weeks ago, which so happens to be less than a half hour from where I live! Part of the collection are Jimmy Carter-era white house switchboards, complete with the unique white house dial cards.

So happens, about a week later I saw one of those white house dial cards for sale on eBay by a guy who collects/sells milk caps. It seems unlikely this seller would care to fake a telephone dial card, being he doesn't seem to have anything else telephone-related, but I know these things are easily reproducible and it could have been a fake passed onto him. Even if it is fake, I only paid like $4 for it. It seems real enough and the printing doesn't look like an obvious digital print. It has perforation marks around the edges and a notch out of the side, which I think I've seen on other white house dial cards posted on here. It's very clean, perhaps never actually used in a telephone (or perhaps a fake! who knows).

Attached are three photos of the telephone switchboard I saw at the museum, the other is of the dial card I acquired. I have a high-resolution scan, but the file size was too large to post on here.

[P.S. I have 134 high-quality photos from the museum that I took with my DLSR camera and don't know the best way to share them]
-Jim

jpbales

Here's a link to one of the other White House dial cards posted on the forum, complete with the triangular notch out of the top-left side of the card:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12953.msg140663#msg140663r
-Jim