News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cuckoo Clocks

Started by Doug Rose, June 06, 2010, 02:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Yesterday at a yard sale, a lady had a few boxes of old clocks on the cheap, really cheap. I told her I had a couple of small Cuckoo clocks, that I am combining to make one work. She tells me, I have a big cuckoo clock, but it needs a lot of work. If you buy this mantle clock for $5, I throw the cuckoo in. When I got home, I found its all carved wood. After removing the years of dirt and I mean years; and some Howard's Restore a Finish, it look brand new. Howard's wax and OMG! If you have never used Howard's on wood, take my word; it is gold. When I put the cuckoo together, it started working right away, I am less than a minute off on 24 hours, but I'll get it. I can't stop talking about it and Janet thinks I have finally lost what little mind I had. I usually tinker with them with little success, BUT this beauty is now on our Kitchen wall. My 302 find from yesterday had to wait!!.....Doug
Kidphone

jiggerman

Nice clock, my grandmother had one just like it. My uncle who was stationed in Germany gave it to her for Christmas in 1962. My aunt has it now and it`s still working. I`d like to own one someday, Jiggerman

Jester

Nice find, Doug.  By the size of the weights, I'm guessing yours is a thirty hour movement.  I bought one for my wife as an anniversary present a few years ago that has the eight day movement.  They're a little more forgiving when life gets busy.
Stephen

Dan/Panther

Quote from: jiggerman on June 06, 2010, 03:05:09 PM
Nice clock, my grandmother had one just like it. My uncle who was stationed in Germany gave it to her for Christmas in 1962. My aunt has it now and it`s still working. I`d like to own one someday, Jiggerman

Jiggerman;
Ditto for my Grandma.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

very beautiful, doug! i love "howard's", too. are those spode plates on the wall?
donna

Dan/Panther

Howard's Restore-A-Finish, is amazing stuff. On the radio forum, some  say they even apply a clear finish over it.
I've never tried it, but I asked the question and got positive responses.
D/P

Doug Rose

Quote from: bwanna on June 06, 2010, 07:03:26 PM
very beautiful, doug! i love "howard's", too. are those spode plates on the wall?
Donna....they are my wife Janet's. They are flo blue.....Doug
Kidphone

benhutcherson

Very nice find.

I've always liked Cuckoo clocks, although I don't have one. Looks like you came out very well on this one.

AET

Looks like a real dandy!  My grandparents have one in their kitchen as well.  It's been in the same spot my entire life. I absolutely love that clock!
- Tom

Doug Rose

" Yesterday at a yard sale, a lady had a few boxes of old clocks on the cheap, really cheap. I told her I had a couple of small Cuckoo clocks, that I am combining to make one work. She tells me, I have a big cuckoo clock, but it needs a lot of work. If you buy this mantle clock for $5, I'll throw the cuckoo in."

Well here is the mantle clock that I bought for $5, that got me the Cuckoo clock for free. Its a Warren Telechron, made in Ashland Mass, next town over from me. Later became General Electric. The flash makes it a little more harsh, but this is a beauty. Cosmetically, this was very much like the condition of the Cuckoo clock; filthy with a lot of scratches. Thank you Howards! The glass had been pushed in and jammed the hands, but it was not not broken. The cord had been cut off and the chime rods were bent. I got real lucky straightening the rods out out and when I spliced an AC cord it right started up. Its been going for over 24 hours and is keeping perfect time. It chimes on  15, 30, 45 and 60. I was very fortunate on these two great clocks, both are keepers. Not bad $5 for two great clocks!!....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Would the procedure for cleaning someones clock ( ;D :o ::) ) be about the same for a phone dial....?

D/P

Dennis Markham

You definitely live right, Doug.  Great clock!

Doug Rose

thanks Dennis....just lucky this time....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I really like that clock. It was well worth the $5.00 even without the cuckoo clock.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

thanks Jim....I am pleasantly surprised by it. My wife is giving me that "oh no" look.....Doug
Kidphone