"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

US Candlestick on Ebay UK

Started by Owain, October 04, 2019, 03:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-Candlestick-Telephone-from-30s-40s/174051093599

US Candlestick telephone on Ebay UK. Damage to mouthpiece trumpet.

Worth anything?

Starting bid £5 + £11 UK postage

FABphones

That is on my watchlist too.  8)

What are other members thoughts re this, do all parts look original?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

I am not sure. I would ask for more pictures. It appears there is something stamped on the front of the transmitter but it is just out of the picture. A picture of the back of the tranmsitter cup, with anything stamped there, including the perch. A picture of the inside would be helpful also. It does not appear to be a WE dial, might be AE. Another of the recevier end cap and maybe the inside if the cap comes off easily.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

It looks like an AE21 to me.  Note that there were phones assembled after the war with various mixes of parts including AE21 bases.  There has been a discussion about these on the forum some time in the past. 

I definitely think that the phone is worth something.  How much, I cannot say, but it is certainly worth more than £5.

Larry

Jack Ryan

The pictures are poor but it looks like an original AE 21 to me. The dial looks like a type 24 but it may be a bit later - can't tell without a look inside.

Jack

Ktownphoneco

I'm with Jack & Larry, A.E. type 21, with type 24 dial.    I have a blank dial number card which matches the one in the telephone.    If my memory is working this morning, and there's no guarantee of that, I believe the card was used U.S. Military Bases, (U.S.A.F. ?) back in the day.      My copy attached.    The ironic part, is the fact I acquired this number card as part of a number card collection from a gentleman in the UK. 

Jeff Lamb

Owain

countryman

not sure about UK but in continental Europe original candlesticks are rare. I guess the buyer got a bargain?

FABphones

Quote from: Owain on October 13, 2019, 04:33:51 PM
Closed at £72, 20 bids!

I watched it too, did anyone here win this?

Nice phone, but a bit pricey I thought, considering the damage. Plus shipping on top.

Attaching additional photos from the listing.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

This is a series circuit AE 21 - it only needs a bell & capacitor to operate.

The receiver does bot contain a permanent magnet, the DC exchange battery is used to create an electromagnet instead.  There is a weight to make the receiver heavy enough to operate the hook switch properly.

If you remove the mouthpiece you might be able to see the transmitter ID written on the diaphragm. It might be a 3C.

The dial looks like a Type 24 but I can't see the ID on the rear. It has a single shunt ON contact which is typical of a series circuit.

Plenty of replacement mouthpieces available in the US. Shipping can't be too bad for something that size.

Jack

paul-f

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on October 05, 2019, 10:03:10 AM
I have a blank dial number card which matches the one in the telephone.    ... I believe the card was used U.S. Military Bases, (U.S.A.F. ?)

Thought that looked familiar. I have a similar card on a North TP6-A set with Telephonics dial... (photo taken many years ago)

http://www.paul-f.com/north1.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line