"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now is the Time To Arm Yourself!

Started by Fabius, December 27, 2017, 11:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Here is the description, for posterity:

"I purchased this from the daughter of a gentleman that worked for Southern Bell. She said they used it for marketing and would travel around and show at trade fairs and schools. The idea of it is that you flip the switch and a motorized arm will come out of the box and turn the switch back off and then go back into the box . It works intermittently the light doesn't always come on and the arm doesn't always come all the way out or go back all the way in on its own. So need some attention"

It seems plausible, but I would guess it was an individual worker who bought it from a gag toy company, and slapped a Southern Bell sticker on it.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Fabius

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 29, 2017, 12:25:44 PM

It seems plausible, but I would guess it was an individual worker who bought it from a gag toy company, and slapped a Southern Bell sticker on it.

I agree. I think the box is old but someone put the sticker on it.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Yes, someone did put the "sticker" on but to me, it looks like a water slide decal. You can see the grain through the clear (dark) areas and the grain under the center "cream" colored part is worn off due to rubbing on the high spot, the raised grain. That defect in the lower right edge reminds me well of the decals I applied to model airplanes in the late 50's which tore like that if things didn't go well.

Those water slide decals were very thin and very fragile when wet and just he slightest error would cause wrinkling or tearing. This is most likely a one off made for that office's use as a marketing prop.

I found that a crystal bowl filled with Werther's Original shiny gold wrapped candies under fluorescent lights on the center of my table at a trade show attracted a lot of attention. This most likely was a better hook.