News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New to me AE 182's

Started by stub, October 03, 2010, 02:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

The UV exposure has to be much worse from the outside. Look at the picture I posted of my pink Starlite and notice how yellowed the dial face is compared to Stub's two Starlites. That's the part that really shows the UV exposure. And it's the whole top of the dial face and not just where the electroluminescent ring is located.

I think one reason the wall Starlites didn't come with luminescent dials very often was the lack of a close-by electrical outlet for the dial. Kitchens in the 1950s and 60s were not blessed with outlets like they are today. Basements and garages even more so.
Jonathan

stub

d_s_k,
           You mean like this  ::)   This one I made out of a wall set, 192, and the dial out of a early 182 . I'll show you how when I find all the stuff, cord and current limiting plug, I need to make it safe!! :o!! The dial light operates on  110 AC !! Can you post a pic of the inside of your wall Starlite? I can't never find parts in this place when I need them!!!   stub

Terry, I knew about the AE 80 with a dial light but I didn't know AE made these in the wall version :o
                                                                                                                                           stub    
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

d_s_k,
           You can ask some of the Forum members if they have any of the AE current limiting plugs left.  You will need one like this. 
           Now , where did I put that cord at ???   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

Alternately, someone who has one of those plugs and a decent ohm meter can measure the actual resistance and post that information here.  Then you can make up a power cord to a terminal strip in a plastic box, with the resistor in series with the Hot lead, to an output cord that can be connected to the phone.

Also you definitely want these AC plugs plugged into an outlet equipped with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interruptor) right at the outlet, "just in case." 

stub

Here you go -   Top diagram- just leave off the adj . 800K pot.  
                       On the bottom one just leave off the bright, dim , and off  switch,on the bottom of phone ( clearance issue ) and hook the dial light to C and D.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

WE might need Bingster to move this to  Technical "Stuff"    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

If I get the dial I have to measure some forth and back, and find both right current, and voltage to put into that lamp.
We have 230v here so either I have to set it up as in the wiring diagram, and use a transformer to 110V, or just find a transformer to considerable lower voltage (whatever needed to the lamp itselves) and limit the current if needed with a resistor.

Really good trim for the brain  ;D

dsk

stub

d_s_k ,
        Here's what I ended up with-    
         Today I was supposed to be  a domestic engineer ::)
                                                                                                                                              stub

click on pic to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

I was going to say that D_S_K had a bigger problem than finding the current limiting plugs, he has to find 120VAC!

The Electroluminescent Strip does work directly off of 120VAC so there could be a relatively wide tolerance for the correct voltage. Maybe some on-line research might tell what the voltage range can be.

I have seen 192's (Starlite Wall Phones) with the correct dial for illumination but I don't believe that I have ever seen one with he slide switch for intensity level installed so that makes me wonder if the wall phone was ever intended to be able to illuminate. The Starlite Wall phone came along quite awhile after the original Starlite Desk Phone so maybe AE had already killed the Illumination option by the time they introduced the Wall phone.

Terry

stub

d_s_k,
          Can you post an inside pic of your 192 Wall Starlite? I'll see if we can find some of the stuff you will need, give us a few days and I'll let you know . I can't help with the 230 ACV , it needs to be 120 ACV.   stub

Now all we need is a picture of  ::)  somebodies ::)  AE-82 lighted dial, lit up! :o   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

Quote from: stub1953 on November 04, 2011, 12:04:31 AM
d_s_k,
          Can you post an inside pic of your 192 Wall Starlite? I'll see if we can find some of the stuff you will need, give us a few days and I'll let you know . I can't help with the 230 ACV , it needs to be 120 ACV.   stub

Now all we need is a picture of  ::)  somebodies ::)  AE-82 lighted dial, lit up! :o   stub

I shall take some pictures and show them here. 
(later today  the time difference may be factor of the term today ;) Lunch here at job now)

stub

d_s_k ,
            Is your 192 Starlite insides like mine ?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

As far as I can see.
dsk

stub

d_s_k,
           Do you need the current limiting resistor plug or will you have to build something to adapt your power to 115 ?    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

For me it will look better with that plug, but I have to add in additional resistors in the telephone jack.
Probably I'm the only one who ever will observe that plug is an original item to the telephone.

Technically its no need for that, everything could be fitted into a Norwegian plug, and I have all the parts needed..

Thank you

dsk