News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two Toned 500 Sets

Started by Doug Rose, July 16, 2018, 05:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I just saw a '55 two toned Oxford grey go for $330 in really nice shape. What is worth more, a dated two tone or a dated Oxford grey set.  Sorry, eBay will not let me post the link....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

I don't care for EBAY's new policy of deleting sold items.

Here is a picture of the phone in my list of ended watched items.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

jsowers

The phone in question belonged to our own Rotordad, so maybe he can offer some insight? My two cents' worth is the phone was in excellent shape and brought about what it was worth and the auction was well done, so I don't see anything that kept it from being any higher. I think a solid dark gray would go for more simply because the black parts of the two-tone are a little more commonplace. That being said, you really don't see that particular combination very often.

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253711433894

Below are a screen shot of the auction and the main picture. The listing isn't gone. All you have to do is click on the blue "listing" link at the top of the page where it offers something else. That's been discussed on the Forum already a few times. It's annoying, but that's eBay.
Jonathan

Pourme

~

That color combination makes a really nice looking phone, and that fat cord really tops it off.

I'm assuming that if it had been a factory two tone it would have went for a lot more.
Benny

poplar1

Original Southern Bell one-time charge:

$7.50 for full color set (500DR-52)

$5.00 for two-tone set (500DR-52A)

Also, recurring monthly charge for an extension,  unless this was the only station.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

I'm assuming a factory two tone is rare?...Maybe extremely?
Benny

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

The story is that late last year, I found an Ebay BIN on a light gray 500 with an Oxford Gray shell.  Who knows how it came to be like that.  My guess is maybe two friends had gray phones and they decided to swap shells just for fun?   I pressed the "buy" button and paid $49.95 plus shipping.   I can't find the pics now to post one.   The phone arrived and it was a 12-57 base with a -58 code (white) dial, refurbed probably in '58 based on the light gray handset and cord dates.

I knew I already had a really nice dates-matching '55 black 500 from an antique fair that cost me $15 a couple years back.  I didn't need it, but I love the original black ones, so I bought it anyway.  The Oxford shell was perfect for the '55, so I restored the phone and polished the shell (which was in really nice shape and didn't need much work).   For a two-tone to look legit you need an earlier black 500 with the fat rubber cords - this one really looks the part, I think...   :)

I figured it would bring pretty good money, since many collectors probably want one of these.  It looks very cool on a shelf, and factory-built ones are very hard-to-find.   I'm very pleased with the price, and happy it went to another collector who hopefully will display it (I don't have a place for that.... ).  Just for the record, I was very careful to state in several places (including the auction title) that this was a '55 phone with a '56 Oxford shell, and that I built it to simulate a field-assembled two-tone.

Doug - your question on value:  I can give you my 2 cents.   I think a "real" dates-matching factory two-tone from the early days of color (1953) would be potentially worth more due to greater rarity, than a full-color Oxford Gray.  There are also the "black dial" versions (all color except the dial bezel) that are probably also more uncommon than a full gray set.   Of course, you never know what something will sell for - and condition also impacts value significantly.
Paul

Pourme

~

And now we know....

The rest of the story.....

Thanks RotarDad!
Benny

Doug Rose

Thanks guys...great info.

Paul....you done good....beautiful set.....Doug
Kidphone

Zombie Dave

Quote from: RotarDad on July 17, 2018, 01:59:44 AM
The story is that late last year, I found an Ebay BIN on a light gray 500 with an Oxford Gray shell.  Who knows how it came to be like that.  My guess is maybe two friends had gray phones and they decided to swap shells just for fun?   I pressed the "buy" button and paid $49.95 plus shipping.   I can't find the pics now to post one.   The phone arrived and it was a 12-57 base with a -58 code (white) dial, refurbed probably in '58 based on the light gray handset and cord dates.

I knew I already had a really nice dates-matching '55 black 500 from an antique fair that cost me $15 a couple years back.  I didn't need it, but I love the original black ones, so I bought it anyway.  The Oxford shell was perfect for the '55, so I restored the phone and polished the shell (which was in really nice shape and didn't need much work).   For a two-tone to look legit you need an earlier black 500 with the fat rubber cords - this one really looks the part, I think...   :)

I figured it would bring pretty good money, since many collectors probably want one of these.  It looks very cool on a shelf, and factory-built ones are very hard-to-find.   I'm very pleased with the price, and happy it went to another collector who hopefully will display it (I don't have a place for that.... ).  Just for the record, I was very careful to state in several places (including the auction title) that this was a '55 phone with a '56 Oxford shell, and that I built it to simulate a field-assembled two-tone.

Doug - your question on value:  I can give you my 2 cents.   I think a "real" dates-matching factory two-tone from the early days of color (1953) would be potentially worth more due to greater rarity, than a full-color Oxford Gray.  There are also the "black dial" versions (all color except the dial bezel) that are probably also more uncommon than a full gray set.   Of course, you never know what something will sell for - and condition also impacts value significantly.

Well done! Striking beautiful phone!

RotarDad

Thank you for the kind comments!  It was fun putting this one together.
Paul

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

Thanks for sharing that thread....I enjoyed looking at the pictures and reading the comments!
Benny