News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction (107 Cancelled: Listing Terminated) - Wilhelm Candlestick

Started by TelePlay, November 11, 2013, 10:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

While a few "could have been phones" showed up on eBay since the last auction ended, this one seems like a very good candidate for our 107th contest. This phone started high at $299.00 and after the first 3 bids sits at $360.55. It was a 10 day auction with over 9 and a half days to go so plenty of time to take a guess.

The seller listed it as an "Vintage Wilhelm Candlestick 10-Line Telephone 1898-1913 Buffalo NY" with the item condition as "Used" and states "The instrument shown is believed to be a 100+ year old Wilhelm ten-line candlestick telephone. This type of phone was manufactured by the Walter Wilhelm Telephone Manufacturing Company in Buffalo, New York. Wilhelm started the business in 1898, and it closed in 1913. The oak base measures 6.75" in diameter and is 2" high. The entire phone stands one foot tall. On the base are ten brass numbers and contacts which are selected by means of a dial in order to connect to other "extensions." The ornate fluted shaft, stem, hook and transmitter appear to be made of brass.  The receiver has a few cracks; the plastic cover for the diaphragm end of the earpiece is missing. Inside the base are wires that have been disconnected; the phone is not presently functional.".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221315246297

The eBay photos show the phone from all angles including the bottom. I did not find this specific phone at the ->Old Telephones<- website but other Wilhelm phones are listed there. So, the question remains, just what will this phone, the 107th in our Auction Contest section, end up selling for when the bidding ends on November 21st.

It's another chance to either move up a rung or to get onto the -> Contest Standings <- list, you have to play to win!

New members on the forum are always very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one.

If you want to check out all of the phones that have been in past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-.

S C O R E B O A R D

$1,322.00 - tallguy58  ( 5 )
$1,801.01 - HarrySmith  ( 7 )
$2,000.00 - Kenton K  ( 4 )
$2,300.00 - Gilas  ( 2 )
$2,400.00 - WesternElectricBen  ( 3 )
$2,500.00 - Sargeguy  ( 1 )
$2,600.00 - kleinkaliber  ( 8 )
$2,800.00 - wds  ( 6 )
$3,000.00 - Russ Kirk  ( 9 )

Early Morning Auction Status Changes

11-11-13   Listed    $  299.00
11-12-13   4 bids    $  375.00
11-13-13   7 bids    $  598.88
eBay Listing Terminated by Seller on 11-13-13 saying item was no longer available.

11-21-13  Ends on Nov 21, 2013 at 13:03:19 PST

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Gilas

Beautiful phone.  Wish I could afford it for sure.  I would imagine it will be around $2300 when all said and done.

Kenton K

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

HarrySmith

$1801.01

It appears the wood grain is visible through the name tag.
Is this possible or are my eyes that bad?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

Hmmm.  Looks like someone made the seller an offer he could not refuse.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 13, 2013, 06:33:55 PM
Hmmm.  Looks like someone made the seller an offer he could not refuse.

Yes, indeed. Saw that at work but could not update the auction until now. It was at $598.88 this morning and now the seller has pulled the phone with 8 days to go in the auction by terminating the listing and thereby cancelling the auction contest. This is only the 3rd time an auction has been cancelled but these things happen. Will put this one away and reuse the number for the next interesting phone that pops up.

Thanks to all who played and, sorry, no winner.

wds

Response from Seller -

"It wasn't sold. I posted it for someone who doesn't have an Ebay account. For reasons unknown to me, he wanted the auction canceled after a day and a half. I admit I'm a little annoyed."
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on November 13, 2013, 08:16:52 PM
Response from Seller -

"It wasn't sold. I posted it for someone who doesn't have an Ebay account. For reasons unknown to me, he wanted the auction canceled after a day and a half. I admit I'm a little annoyed."

Very interesting, and thank you, Dave, for both getting and sharing that info.