News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New acquisitions

Started by BDM, February 10, 2009, 09:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Well, received a few new goodies. First, an AE40. Dirty, but nice clean shell. Dial functions well, pretty clean and unmolested on the inside.

Second, a 1948 North Electric Galion. Case is nice but dirty. No cracks. It needs a complete resto non the less. I like the chrome cut-away finger wheel. It uses a W.E. 101A coil, N.E. own ringer & condenser. An AE dial, and SC transmitter & receiver. This set is definitely the AMC of the phone world ;D

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Brian, the Galion looks to have a frequency ringer??  What about the AE40?  Both look like they should clean up nicely.

BDM

Dennis, I'm not sure. The writing on the bottom isn't clear on the Galion. It's a non adjustable gong, very loose feel like a 20/hz ringer. But I'm unsure. Bet I can get it to ring either way. The AE40 is definitely a straight-line 20/hz. It's marked.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill Cahill

Nice toyz...  ;D I've been wanting to get one of those earlier AE monophones.
You got a couple of keepers. That's for sure.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

benhutcherson

I've always had a soft spot for the AE40, as it was one of those that really got me interested in telephone collecting in the first place. Yours is in pretty nice shape already it seems, so you shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever getting it prettied up.

Looks like you have a couple of very, very nice finds.

Dan/Panther

Ben;
That's how I got started, I bought a AE40. I soon after fell for the 302 though.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Good looking phones indeed.  What's the curious red stuff inside the gongs?

mienaichizu

BDM

Quote from: mienaichizu on February 11, 2009, 10:52:11 PM
I also want an AE40! ;D

Brass gongs, but it's corrosion. I've seen this many times on many phones. It just wipes right out, without a hint it ever existed.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Thanks guys. I was test driving it tonight, and it worked well. But, I noticed static when ever the handset cord was moved. Finally, it gave out. It lost continuity with the green & yellow handset wires. The wires in this cord are dry rotted.

D/P, it reminds me of that fabulous rubber wire used in 1940-42 radios. I'm bummed >:( It's a nice fat round coil cord. Guess I'll install a straight cloth cord on this one.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

BDM;
I found a temporary fix on these rotted cords on phones. If you peel back the outer cover a little, you may be able to get good wire to use the phone until you get another cord. The cord will be slightly shorter but it rteally doesn't show that bad.
It seems sometimes the outer cover protects the rubber and only the exposed wire gets really rotted.

As far as the radios, if you just look at the stuff, it falls off the wire.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 12, 2009, 02:09:21 PM

As far as the radios, if you just look at the stuff, it falls off the wire.

D/P

Yeah, that's what this one is doing. I'm probably going to use heat shrink on them for now. But, a nice straight cloth cord would look good on this set. I just happen to have one ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI