News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

help ID a Kellogg phone

Started by Joes, July 15, 2015, 09:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joes

Hi All,  I am new here. Could someone tell me when a Kellogg model 2607S was made? Also, when the phone was discontinued? I have one and this is part of the fun. Don't have pict's now , the date range info will be good to know.    Thanks Joe

G-Man

Quote from: Joes on July 15, 2015, 09:00:28 PM
Hi All,  I am new here. Could someone tell me when a Kellogg model 2607S was made? Also, when the phone was discontinued? I have one and this is part of the fun. Don't have pict's now , the date range info will be good to know.    Thanks Joe

Desk, wall, spacesaver- metal or wood? Early, mid, or late 20th century.

Narrowing it down makes it easier to find it in the catalogs;-)

G-Man

A quick look through Kellogg catalogs published from the 1920's to the late 1940's do not show instruments with model numbers in the 2600-range. That doesn't mean they did not designate any as such, only that I was unable to locate any while I briefly thumbed through the pages.

Please verify the model number and let us know if you obtained it from markings stamped or printed on the telephone itself or from a circuit label.

Taking another look at your post I realized that you posted under "Wooden Phones" but we still do not know if your instrument is full-size, magneto or common battery, or equipped with separate transmitter and receiver or a handset.

Thanks!

G-Man

Further checking has shown the following...

Code Number 2607 Same as 2537 Except With Exposed Binding Post Walnut

Code Number 2537 Same as 2536 Except Walnut

Code Number 2536 - Replaced by 2852
  Ringer 78-B
Generator 15
Transmitter 22-LC
Arm 20
Hookswitch 67
Induction Coil 28-C
Condenser None
Receiver 41-A
Drawing Number 11024
Remarks Concealed Binding Post Oak

Since you did not provide a description it is unknown if this applies to your set but if your set matches the above then I can provide some approximate dates.

Joes

Hi , Can not post pics at this time (maybe file too large) . Phone is wood, cathedral top,  3bar mag, outside looks identical to figure 1 (1909 magneto sets bulletin 38) Thanks G-Man , all help is welcome                    Joe

unbeldi

I think you have the right source in Bulletin #38. The 2607 is the walnut version with exposed posts, 3-bar generator, 80 ohm ringer, as described on page 35 of the bulletin. Only my copy of it shows the date as August 1908.

Figure 2 shows the inside with a 5-bar magneto, but those were substituted based on the length of the line or the number of parties on the line. The five-bar generators are the 'strongest' for heavy-loaded lines.

The bulletin also shows the circuit (#9818) on page 7.  Seems like you have all the info you should need in it, but it looks like you need to find a transmitter.  Bulletin #24 (March 1907, Magneto Telephone Apparatus) shows the kind of transmitter and receivers used at the time.

But I have also found the 2706 described for use on common battery lines with a grounding key in a catalog from probably 1910.

I am sure the suffix S has a meaning, what that is may take some time of comparing similar sets, perhaps a different ringer type.  Comparing the wiring of your set in detail with the diagram might help too. I would draw a diagram from tracing all wires in your set.  Is the inside also still intact?

Your set seems to be in great condition. Congrats.

Joes

Hi unbeldi, One picture did get through . The insides seem mostly intact. Been trying to get pic of inside up, no luck, yet!  I do not know where to find bulletin #25 . Would like to have pics of transmitter and receiver options . Could the "S" be standard bridging?  What would be the date range for my phone ? manufacture to discontinued?   Thanks Joe

unbeldi

Sorry, it was #24, not 25, I just corrected the number.

I would guestimate the manufacturing range to about 10 years from the early 1900s to mid 1910s.
It seems during or after WW I, the equipment sequence numbers had been bumped up to 2800 for these types of wall phones.

unbeldi

Quote from: Joes on July 16, 2015, 08:06:37 PM
Could the "S" be standard bridging?

My guess is that it stands for straight-line ringer, but that would like indeed be their "standard bridged" ringing configuration.   Kellogg always designated the ringer type by letter suffixes to the model number.  For example, SA was straight-line ringer, BA a biased ringer, HA a harmonic ringer.  The second letter could be an impedance characterization, or a ringer frequency class. This early they may not yet have distinguished the impedance specifically, but I haven't check this guess against examples or documents.

I think by this time, almost all ringing was bridged already, whether grounded or metallic.

Joes

Thanks, Cool, I have some reading material for tonight!    Joe

Russ62

Hi,    If the phone has or originally had an 80 ohm ringer and 3 bar magneto, it was for a primitive type of line where the phones were connected in series instead of the more logical parallel or bridging system.  Phones for bridging lines had 1000 ohm or greater ringers so as not to load down the line, and with Kellogg, usually 4 or 5 bar magnetos.  I once even had a large, probably 1930s single box Kellogg with a 6 bar magneto, probably for long forest service lines.   This website http://www.telephonearchive.com/    has all kinds of interesting Kellogg catalogs and bulletins on the Kellogg pdfs page.    I don't know why Kellogg and probably others continued to offer series phones long after the invention of bridging service.                                        Russ

G-Man

Quote from: Russ62 on July 17, 2015, 02:30:33 AM
Hi,    If the phone has or originally had an 80 ohm ringer and 3 bar magneto, it was for a primitive type of line where the phones were connected in series instead of the more logical parallel or bridging system.  Phones for bridging lines had 1000 ohm or greater ringers so as not to load down the line, and with Kellogg, usually 4 or 5 bar magnetos.  I once even had a large, probably 1930s single box Kellogg with a 6 bar magneto, probably for long forest service lines.   This website http://www.telephonearchive.com/    has all kinds of interesting Kellogg catalogs and bulletins on the Kellogg pdfs page.    I don't know why Kellogg and probably others continued to offer series phones long after the invention of bridging service.                                        Russ

You are correct that it would be logical for an 80-ohm ringer to be used with a series telephone, and of course they were; however, Kellogg also used them on short lines for bridged ringing service.

Joes

Hi All, Here is some pics of the inside and the receiver. Any place I can source the correct transmitter.    Thanks Joe

unbeldi

Immediate gratification is probably not something to expect, but this vendor has a piece from the right time frame.
I don't know if it is a good match: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151745185409

Does your ringer actually have a low impedance of 80 ohms?  Have you measured it?

What is that coil lying in the battery compartment?