News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 Dial Removal

Started by davebdawg, June 27, 2010, 06:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davebdawg

Hi, I have been back with rotary phones here and now just having a little problem with my 500 desk and a 554 wall phone. Just trying to remove the dial so I can change the number placard and I can't get the dial off, doing the standard procedure, rotating the dial all the way clockwise and pinning the release hole, and the dial does turn a bit more clockwise but I can't remove it.
I have another 500 desk phone and I have no problem  removing the dial on that one.
What's the problem here?  ??? ???

Dan

Do either of your phones have metal fingerwheels ? It will come off sometimes you have to be very aggressive .
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

paul-f

Occasionally the tab is bent a bit, so the pin misses it -- or the pin is too small in diameter to catch the tab.  It's possible that some replacement fingerwheels were made by non-Bell suppliers and don't fit perfectly.

Try the largest diameter utensil with a flat end you can get in the hole.  If that doesn't work, try bending the end slightly and fish a bit to see if one side of the hole or the other lets you find the tab.

If all else fails, brute force can be used.  Afterwards, you may have to bend the metal parts back into shape or replace the fingerwheel.

Good luck!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Dave;
The finger stop may be holding it. Sometimes you have to rotate the finger wheel  slightly more, to get them to lift off.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson