News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is a 20S candlestick?

Started by Bill, December 08, 2019, 09:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I just pulled a nice candlestick down off a shelf in my garage. Hadn't laid eyes on it for at least 20 years. Although the stamps are a bit mushed up (as usual), it appears to be initially stamped "20S", then overstamped with "20AL". I can't find much information about the 20S except that it existed. Can anyone enlighten me, or point me to a good reference?

Thanks

Bill

Jack Ryan

The 20S is an earlier version of the 20AL. It has a solid perch and a live frame.

The 20S was a black version of the 20B.

It is listed in many of the WE catalogues in the TCI library.

Jack

Bill

Thanks, Jack. I guess what I was really asking - sorry not be more clear - was what changes were made to a 20S in order to convert it to a 20AL? Different transmitter? Different receiver? Different hookswitch? Different cordage?

Thanks

Bill

poplar1

1020 AL has an insulated transmitter, insulated receiver (143/144). This 20 AL is a conversion; so, it still has the solid lug holder (perch).

The 143 and 144 receivers will accept cords with either pins or spade tips. The 122 receiver (originally used on 1020 S or B) requires a cord with pins for the exposed binding posts on the receiver.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on December 09, 2019, 06:02:55 PM
1020 AL has an insulated transmitter, insulated receiver (143/144).

I haven't checked a converted 20AL but in addition to the insulated transmitter and receiver (no exposed terminals), the frame should be insulated. That would require a modified hook switch pile.

The purpose of the insulation was to remove the electrical connection between the frame of the telephone and the telephone line. This in turn reduced the possibility of electric shock and potential litigation.

Jack

zaphod01

Top center is a 20S. Solid perch marked 20S (tapped across) with 20AL stamped on the front of the perch. Drop hook receiver mount. I converted it back to a 20S, complete with side screw mount and correct 2-hole base cover to match. Sorry about the dust. I haven't touched these in three years and need to move them along.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Jack Ryan

Quote from: zaphod01 on January 11, 2020, 02:00:24 PM
Top center is a 20S. Solid perch marked 20S (tapped across) with 20AL stamped on the front of the perch. Drop hook receiver mount. I converted it back to a 20S, complete with side screw mount and correct 2-hole base cover to match. Sorry about the dust. I haven't touched these in three years and need to move them along.

Nice display - the dust is forgiven.

I don't think a 20-S or 20-B would have had a drop hook - not that I have seen or read anyway. The drop hook goes with an early 20-AL or similar

Regards
Jack