News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Adding a rotary or touchtone adjunct dial to a touchtone or rotary phone

Started by Babybearjs, November 16, 2018, 01:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

OK, guys... please help me refresh my memory if you can... if I add a rotary dial to a touch tone phone, do I hook it up as normal? or do I have to rewire the unit to accommodate the second dial?
John

Babybearjs

that one is a TT Adjunct Dial, I have a Rotary. I pulled up the files from the TCI Library and it explained what I had to do... funny how simple it was... just 4 wires and a spare screw terminal! it's easy! BSP:501-164-130 Page #3.  when adding the dial, you wire it just like normal, except you move the green wire from the TT dial on F to L1, L2, or G (whichever one is available) and connect the green wire from the dial there, and then connect the blue to F. the 2 white wires stay on the same terminals as assigned. (R and GN). Once I got the wiring correct, both the rotary and the touch tone dials worked perfectly! the same applies to the reverse. when adding a touch-tone dial to a rotary phone. you wire it the same way... of course, following the dial wiring schematic for the touch-tone dial. this pretty much applies to any 500 or 2500 series phone.
John

dsk

If I should put up an external rotary dial to any phone I would just have put it in the line with the pulse contacts on one leg, and the shorting contact across the phone.  Will work with any phone who works on a CB system.

dsk

compubit

Quote from: dsk on November 17, 2018, 05:21:24 AM
If I should put up an external rotary dial to any phone I would just have put it in the line with the pulse contacts on one leg, and the shorting contact across the phone.  Will work with any phone who works on a CB system.

dsk

Nice and simple, but would you need some resistance in series with the short so that the central office doesn't think that the line has been shorted (and thus will tag the line for repair?)

Just a question...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

dsk

You do not need that, most non W.E. rotary phones do just that; short the line when the dial is out of rest position. (S.E. , Siemens. Ericsson, some Antwerp phones, older W.E. as the 300 series etc.)

dsk

Babybearjs

John

dsk

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 17, 2018, 10:00:39 PM
Interesting answers! I guess no one uses BSP's anymore...
No tradition for that here, do you have any BSP for adding rotary to a general touch tone phone?  You did not mention in your post that it was a phone used in the Bell system either.

For me a such add-on would be needed because my PAX does not understand touch tones, and I would like to do it in a way where I have to do as little as possible with the phone.

One solution could be to put a dial on the wall close to and before the jack, this would result in the possibility of putting in and change phones used at that place without modifying the phones.

As a "foreigner" I just see the BSP's as standard routines to ensure  equal high quality solutions on common modifications and repairs. 

Back-engineering to adopt older systems, and keeping equipment original was probably not in focus when they made BSP's. 

We could probably make Hobbyists routines, but it will be pretty difficult because we will use equipment from so many different sources.

Babybearjs

John

dsk

Maybe my English is a little to bad :( , but I understand that BSP to be how to add a touch tone pad to a rotary, and I understood your need to be for an external rotary dial. :)

TelePlay

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 18, 2018, 02:59:41 AM
re-read my post. I did include the BSP reference

Regular Member Post

Yes, you did, but which of the 4 that come up on the TCI web site in a search, or are they all the same on page 3? I don't have the time right now to open up all 4 documents and compare them, to look for the rotary dial adjunct installation.

And, yes, it would seem to me that such a dial could be installed before the phone, in the line cord, the same way as a DTMF pad is added to a rotary dial phone, as discussed at length in other topics on the forum, so the adjunct rotary dial could be used with any phone that comes after it.

TelePlay

Quote from: dsk on November 18, 2018, 03:19:36 AM
Maybe my English is a little to bad :( , but I understand that BSP to be how to add a touch tone pad to a rotary, and I understood your need to be for an external rotary dial. :)

Regular Member Post

Having now had time to review each of the 4 BSPs listed above, none of them have anything to do with adding a rotary dial to a DTMF phone. That makes sense with technology moving forward, there was a need for field installation of a DTMF pad to a rotary dial phone to take advantage of the new TT technology/functions/options. I highly doubt there is a BSP anywhere adding a rotary dial to a DTMF device.

As such, it appears DSK was correct on both accounts and simply wiring a dial into a line cord, however one wants to do that, would crease the pulses needed for a CO or equivalent device that accepts/requires pulses. Adding a rotary dial as such is something that escapes my simple mind as a capability needed given today's VOIP and "digital" land lines.

All 4 BSPs from the TCI library are attached in pdf format:

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on November 18, 2018, 11:31:24 AM

Adding a rotary dial as such is something that escapes my simple mind as a capability needed given today's VOIP and "digital" land lines.

1008B Adjunct has a rotary dial. Used, for example, with Autovon Sets. Could also be used anywhere the local phone system was Touch-Tone but the central office was Step-by-Step without DTMF converters.

See 501-164-127 issue 1 in TCI library
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

as promised, here are the pictures of my latest project. both phones work with either dial and the red one is in service. I use the rotary dial for my 207C KTU.
John