News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E-1 Handset Bullet Transmitter Tool

Started by Desert Phone Guy, July 22, 2018, 02:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Phone Guy

I think we all know about the E-1 handset tools, which are invaluable in removal of the transmitters and receives on the Western Electric E-1 Handsets.

Does anyone know of, or own, a tool to remove the 395A Early "bullet" style transmitter?  The 395 has two holes in the top which most likely are there to accomodate a tool to unscrew the bakelite bullet part.

Pourme

~

I have a few really nice E1 handsets I can't dis assemble...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

Have you tried strap wrenches & heat? That usually does the trick for me. I am sure the tools are out there somewhere. I have seen them occasionally on eBay.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

On my handsets, I have tried that several times. I have all but ruined one strap wrench on mine. I have essentially given up on them. Maybe one of those tools would work.
Benny

Butch Harlow

I put the handset into a gallon ziploc bag and soak it in very hot water for a half hour. Then, I use my strapwrench or a chamois cloth to unscrew the parts. This has worked every time with the exception of one earpiece stuck to the receiver.
Butch Harlow

Pourme

Quote from: Butch Harlow on July 22, 2018, 07:59:46 PM
I put the handset into a gallon ziploc bag and soak it in very hot water for a half hour. Then, I use my strapwrench or a chamois cloth to unscrew the parts. This has worked every time with the exception of one earpiece stuck to the receiver.

I'll give that a shot...
thanks!
Benny

FABphones

Quote from: Desert Phone Guy on July 22, 2018, 02:31:33 PM
I think we all know about the E-1 handset tools, which are invaluable in removal of the transmitters and receives on the Western Electric E-1 Handsets.

Does anyone know of, or own, a tool to remove the 395A Early "bullet" style transmitter?  The 395 has two holes in the top which most likely are there to accomodate a tool to unscrew the bakelite bullet part.

Erm.. I didn't know...   :-[

Does anyone have photos of the two types (and the tool?) please so I can compare?

I have French versions of these.

Thanks.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

Here is what OPW has on their site.

A bit pricey but, Sold out, of course.
Benny

FABphones

Quote from: Pourme on July 22, 2018, 06:51:03 PM
On my handsets, I have tried that several times. I have all but ruined one strap wrench on mine. I have essentially given up on them. Maybe one of those tools would work.

i know this prob isn't the idea you all want to hear, but I had a G1 handset which wouldn't unscrew. Those plastic caps were on tight. Did all the things suggested on here. Several times over. Mr Fab (ex-BT) clearly coudn't bear to watch any longer, so he took it off me, sprayed a teeny bit of WD40 around the screw in rim area, left it barely a minute and came off like a dream.

That's BT for you. No faffing about. Get the job done and on to the next...  :)
Gotta love it!  ;D

Pourme

~

E1 handsets are the only ones that have given me fits trying to remove. I have done the hair dryer/strap wrench method multiple times to no avail. I have seen handsets broken in two by collectors exerting maximum effort on them, I didn't want to wind up there. One of the issues involved that isn't present with G series handsets is the aluminum threads that over the years get                      "tarnish" for lack of a better term, and causes issues. I have thought about trying that WD40 thing, but haven't tried it. Maybe combine the WD40 thing with the hot water/strap wrench method?
Benny

HarrySmith

I have heard of letting them soak in penetrating oil for a while. The metal threads do get corroded which is what makes them difficult to get off. The best thing to use as penetrating oil is a mixture of automatic transmission fluid & acetone 50/50 mix. It has been tested and works better than any commercial product out there. The commercial product I used when working on cars was PB Blaster. It worked the best out of all the ones out there at the time. I have not personally tried the ATF/Acetone mixture but have read about it in several different places which all raved about it. I should also shine up your handset!! YMMV.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

Thanks Harry....I'm getting a plan in my head...
Benny

Ktownphoneco

Good morning  ....   When I have the time, I produce a kit for taking the Western / Northern E-1 handsets apart.   The problem with a good number of E-1's, involves over tightening of the various parts.    I have no direct knowledge of how Bell technicians approached the repair and / or service of E-1's, but I strongly suspect they tightened everything up in order to stop customers from "playing" with the handset and trying to open it up to see what makes it tick.      The other issue involves a reaction between the two main main metal components that make up an E-1, that being brass and aluminum.     The two metals will react with each other, and it's called a "galvanic reaction" ( Google that term for a full explanation).   In the worst case scenario, the materials will almost bond themselves together through corrosion.   

N.B. - Using the reproduction wrench with the two pins located in the jaws, usually results in more damage to the Bakelite components in probably 50% of the cases in which it is used.     A good quality strap wrench and a set of rubber covered jaw inserts in a vise, will provide much better results that 2 small pins exerting too much force on aged Bakelite.

The attached "PDF" is the one I made up when I sold the last batch of oak clamps for opening up E-1 handsets.     I do make them periodically when I have time, but the "PDF" lists the sizes of each clamp.     I don't suggest you run out and buy Forstner & Saw Tooth bits and a drill press, but you may be able to find a local wood work shop that can make them for you.

I will usually try the rubber covered jaw inserts for my vise and a rubber strap wrench first before I break out the big guns, and in a lot of cases, the strap wrench and the solid hold of my vise, will do the job.
The point of the oak clamps, is that in the worst case scenario situation, if you apply even pressure around the entire circumference various parts of the E-1, the parts won't be damaged, and the aluminum transmitter and receiver housings won't be distorted by uneven pressure.

I hope this explanation helps in understanding the issues involving E-1 handset disassembly.     

Jeff Lamb

Desert Phone Guy

Another good chemical I use to loosen parts, both metal and bakelite is   "Kroil".  I learned about this from a older gentleman who is a gunsmith.  Put some on the frozen screw or part, tap the metal a few times with a hammer to help the solvent penetrate.  Then set it aside for a couple hours.  Most of the time you can free up the frozen parts.  It is readily available at Walmart, Grainger, and usually available at wholesale plumbing supply and HVAC supply houses.

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 23, 2018, 08:40:28 AM
I have heard of letting them soak in penetrating oil for a while. The metal threads do get corroded which is what makes them difficult to get off....

I've since used the WD40 trick on stuck/corroded GPO 164 handset mouthpieces (probably the handset this idea would have originally been used on). These have metal too, they also have a hole which allows access to the metal which has to be depressed in order to unscrew.

Worked fast and without problem.
:)