News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

pics too big, keeps crashing upload. how to resize?

Started by RB, August 02, 2018, 09:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

can't get pics to load, too big.
how can i resize them?

FABphones

On my pc, I edit saved photos via 'Paint', select 'resize'.  Or save out the photo, open from pic folder via 'photos' and edit from there.

On my iPad - forget it.  ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Butch Harlow

I do it from my "smart" phone. I screenshot the pic and then reduce it in overall size.
Butch Harlow

Dan/Panther

I take mine to One Hour Photo, and they do it for me.
Oh wait, that was last century.

I use Windows photo gallery to resize photo for the internet or email.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

I just lowered the resolution of the prictures I take on the camera. Takes  5 seconds...Doug
Kidphone

19and41

I use the resize feature of paint too.  I reduce them to 500 pixels at the largest dimension.  I copy the pics for uploading in a folder separate from the regular pics, then I have ready images for posting.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on August 02, 2018, 02:32:01 PM
I use the resize feature of paint too.  I reduce them to 500 pixels at the largest dimension.  I copy the pics for uploading in a folder separate from the regular pics, then I have ready images for posting.

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

500 pixels is a bit small unless that was a typo. Images with the largest side with at least 1,500 to 3,000 provide go viewing resolution and never fail to upload.

Yes, Paint is excellent to first rotate, then crop and finally resize and image. That's all I've been doing with images taken by my iPhone moved to my PC using the phone's USB charging cable.

For those who might not be familiar with image size, the first image below is 3000 pixels wide, the second 500. Click on each image to see the difference.

19and41

Here Is a 500 pixel pic of my birthday phone.  I use that size because some sites specify and limit size to that dimension.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Yes, 500 pixels work well for images like that but they do not expand to a larger size when clicked on for close viewing.

For photos that show wiring and networks and small parts, a larger size is better so it can be blown up for viewing.

This is a box of parts at 3000 and 500 pixels wide. The 3000 expands when clicked on to show good detail. The 500 does not expand.

The last image is the 500 pixel wide image expanded in Paint to 3000 and when comparing the two 3000 pixel wide images, you can see the loss in detail when reduced to 500.

RB

compubit

I've found another workaround on iPhones/iPads where the picture won't upload directly: email the picture to yourself then save it back to your device.

When you email a picture, the device will ask for a size: small, medium, large, or original.  Medium is usually a decent size for the forums.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Dan/Panther

Quote from: compubit on August 02, 2018, 08:19:04 PM
I've found another workaround on iPhones/iPads where the picture won't upload directly: email the picture to yourself then save it back to your device.

When you email a picture, the device will ask for a size: small, medium, large, or original.  Medium is usually a decent size for the forums.

Jim

This is how I do it also. Then I drag, or copy paste the photo to desktop, when I'm done using the photo I drop it in Recycle Bin.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson