News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trimline reference page on paul-f.com

Started by paul-f, February 28, 2019, 06:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Following some "encouragement," I've added a basic reference page on the Trimline to my site.

After a comment period, I'll add recommended content and integrate it into the site navigation plan.

Comments, additions and corrections are welcome.

http://www.paul-f.com/weTrimline.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

jsowers

Paul, your Trimline page is very well done, accurate and concise.

Below are some things you may or may not want to include and some pics I came up with to illustrate. You're welcome to use any of the pics or we can do some retakes and get more detail or make changes. Some of these phones are not mine. I have a phone collecting friend who's collected lots of Trimlines and we've shared pictures over the years. This is just off the top of my head...

1. The round button 2220 had a nice contrasting color paper faceplate in the same sort of design like the 2500 sets did with their faceplates. Maybe you could include one or two to illustrate that contrast similar to what this picture illustrates? Dave (poplar1) has listed all the colors of the Trimline faceplates from a BSP in this date range post that's very informative: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11422.msg133027#msg133027

2. Some 2220s had brushed stainless steel faceplates. These all seem to be refurbs. Some of the refurbs are painted.

3. The paper faceplates were easily damaged by stray cleaner or water and often you will see the original damaged faceplate behind the metal replacement when the phone is taken apart.

4. The logo insert on the handset (for wont of a better term) varied over the years. The early Trimlines had "Bell System made by Western Electric" on them.

5. Later Trimlines had the 1969 Bell logo and just the word Trimline. Not sure of exactly when that change was made. Maybe 1970? 1973?

6. A picture of the lit dial or touchpad would be nice and some info on the type of lamp would be good too. Also the center of the 220 dial changed from the older Bell logo to Western Electric at the same time the logo insert changed.

I'm sure there's more I haven't thought of. And again, these are only suggestions.
Jonathan

paul-f

Thanks Jonathan.

Illustrating some of the  component evolution would be interesting, if a bit challenging.

Some of the info in Richard Gerber's references would be good to add, such as the photos of the differing plug and cord styles and bottom designs to accommodate the change of ringer types.

I'm looking for good photos or an example of a message waiting cord, as well.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line