News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Add on dial lights

Started by Bartonpipes, December 11, 2014, 04:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartonpipes

I was just looking through an old copy of popular mechanics when I saw this.

If there was a market for these it really makes you wonder why "mushroom" sets are so rare today.

Anyone have this or anything like it in their collection?
-Andrew

JimH

I've seen the glow in the dark type dial lights.  There was a battery-operated attachment on ebay about a month ago, NOS.  I think the "mushroom" phones were displaced by the Princess phones with the lighted dial.  The mushroom phones were made from about 1955 until about 1963.  It was an extra charge each month, and people would rather have the stylish new small telephone for their nightstands.
Jim H.

Bartonpipes

I just noticed the "Patent pending" label at the bottom of the dial, it was actually an overlay! it makes a lot more sense now. DUH!!
-Andrew

paul-f

A couple of examples of add-on lights turned up in a discussion about reel to reel tape decks:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11799.msg125564#msg125564

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11799.msg125606#msg125606

Here are a few more from the photo archive...

I like the green marbled TelAGlo combination housing cover and light for 300-series sets, but there was an obvious issue if you put in a bulb with too much wattage.  I have a NOS example in my collection.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Bartonpipes

Cool!

It's always neat to see an actual example of something that you have only seen in pictures. I like that 302 cover as well, sort of an odd design but neat nonetheless.

I especially like the versions that add the functionality of the "Mushroom" phone- lift the handset it lights up the dial.
-Andrew

Russ Kirk

I like the green marbled TelAGlo!

Would you mind sharing a photo of it on a 300 set?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

paul-f

OK, Russ.

I left off the handset cover, as it has warped a bit and wouldn't slide easily on the F1.

Russ Kirk

Thanks for sharing.

These add ons are really interesting and unusual.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

paul-f

This "Phone Light" was made by Benn-Lewis Co., Haverhill, MA.

I'll add a photo of one installed on a set later.

paul-f

Phone Light on a 302...