News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent Ebay Find/Anyone ever repaired a 302 case crack like this?

Started by benhutcherson, December 30, 2008, 02:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

Hello folks,
Christmas morning, I was surfing Ebay and came across this recently listed auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150317717406&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005
( dead link 04-13-21 )

I figured that it looked good enough for the buy-it-now, especially considering that I haven't found anything worth buying locally for about 4 months, and went ahead and grabbed it.

They arrived yesterday, and upon unboxing, I discovered two fairly nice telephones. The 302 has a #5 dial, which of course would probably be worth at least a good portion of the cost if sold separately.

The description mentioned a crack in the case. I automatically assumed that it was a corner crack. Upon arrival, however, I found no corner cracks. Only upon closer inspection did I discover this

So, this leads me to my first question: Has anyone ever repaired a crack like this? If so, how did you do it?

There was also another surprise waiting for me inside.

Oh well, still not horrible for the price.

I also got a very nice date-matched '73 500 set out of the deal. I'm rather excited about this, as it's the latest date-matched 500 set in my collection. All of my other late-model 500 sets have at least some parts in them that are fairly old.

McHeath

That's too bad on that missing ringer.  And as for that weirdo crack, gee what to do?  Glad you are happy with that 500, it's cool to find one that has matching dates and is, in my limited experience, rather rare.

Dan

I'd first super glue the crack from inside the housing. Then I'd novus 2 or auto rubbing coupound it and then wax it. The scratch around it will fade and hopefully the crack line will too.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright