News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mediterranean Blue 500

Started by poplar1, December 12, 2013, 08:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Do you think I should enter this for Find of the Month?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

baldopeacock

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 16, 2013, 03:18:10 PM
Do you think I should enter this for Find of the Month?

Without a doubt!  

Granted it wasn't the $10, perfect condition Med Blue that everyone would love to find, but it's pretty doggone perfect and it could easily have bid up to twice what you paid.   It's worth what you paid and more.

TelePlay

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 15, 2013, 06:52:34 PM
Now you need to get a nice dial card for the finger wheel.

I tried to print a dial card off the site Ben provided, but it was too confusing to size and print, and get just the right color. So my dad made one.

He modeled a few of my original dial cards to make it look authentic. Since we live in what was the "Liberty" exchange area, we decided to add that to the card. The dates range qute a bit all over on this phone (from May '56 to November '56), but the one date that repeated itself was July, so we made the whole dial card say "LIberty 7 1956". It really does look authentic!
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

It looks quite original, I even like how it says its age right on it.

I have always wanted to have the number cards with the specs of the phone, ex year, model etc.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: david@london on December 16, 2013, 12:14:30 PM
christian -
you cleaned this phone up to look that great the same day you received it ??

note to moderators: maybe we need a new section on the forum ......."transformation of the month."

christian, what kind of compound do you use, is that automotive compound, kind of like t-cut ?

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, and Johnson Paste Wax. The compound and polish are both in the automotive department at Wal-Mart. I prefer these over Novus because they're about the same price, and I think the Meguiar's bottle is a bit bigger. And yes, I managed to finish it the day I got it :)
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on December 16, 2013, 09:51:01 PM
It looks quite original, I even like how it says its age right on it.

I have always wanted to have the number cards with the specs of the phone, ex year, model etc.

Ben

It's actually pretty easy to do.
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

Maybe you or your Dad could upload a file or instructions for others to use this?
Strange, in the first picture the handset cord looks grey but in the next it looks blue ???
Maybe just my monitor?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 16, 2013, 09:52:50 PM
Quote from: david@london on December 16, 2013, 12:14:30 PM
... you cleaned this phone up to look that great the same day you received it ??

... And yes, I managed to finish it the day I got it :) ...

This is a typical symptom of the phone-itis disease going around this forum.  :( :( :(
Jorge

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 17, 2013, 07:58:47 AM
Maybe you or your Dad could upload a file or instructions for others to use this?
Strange, in the first picture the handset cord looks grey but in the next it looks blue ???
Maybe just my monitor?

I'll make instructions when I get home. My dad used flash on his camera in that picture, so it looks a bit blue.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Ok, so apparently while I was at school, my dad made instructions and templates for the repro dial cards. ;D

They're posted in several formats that hopefully work for everybody.  You need a couple fonts on your computer (see instructions).
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

Very Cool ;D
Thanks to you and your Dad!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Ben....top notch!!! I would swear from the pics it is real. Great dial card..Super phone!!...Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Nice.  I recommend Copperplate Gothic Bold for the exchange and Segoe LII Light for the numbers if you have them.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dlvh

Okay, I know this is an old thread, but I have just purchased, and received, a 1956 WE 500 in Mediterranean Blue, off of Craigslist. Given it's age, it has turned a Teal, or Peacock Blue color, likely from a combination of age and perhaps nicotine? What is going to be the best way to bring back the True color these Mediterranean Blue phones are supposed to be, like the one shown in previous posts  here of Christians' phone?...Sanding, Peroxide, Bleach, or is there better method?

First is a picture from the Craigslist posting: And the second picture is of how the phone looked when I received it, but edited to give a better feel of how the color of it really is: