News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring my eBay purchase into a functional AE 3 slot Pay Phone

Started by DavePEI, June 01, 2016, 10:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

The lock related portion of this topic was moved to Pay Phone Locks.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16232.0

This conversation can continue here as the phone is worked on. Please refer lock related comments to the lock topic to make them easily found by other users needing to unlock/change/modify the locks on their phones.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

shortrackskater

Okay I'll start here.
This all began with identifying what I bought on ebay and determining it was a "Frankenphone" consisting of an AE LBP 82 55 with a lower Gray housing.
The other thread has all the details on me getting the upper lock to work and now I'll start with getting this thing to work.
I've got all the parts from Stan S and Jim... thank you!!!
I've installed the coin counter and relay/hopper. I have wiring diagrams but I'm not great at reading them. First, on the relay the schematic shows a lug #4 which I don't see.
All I have is a #1,2,3 and a G, ground I assume.
Mark J.

Stan S

Mark
Some of the very old single coil coin relays had a screw terminal stamped 'G'. On newer relays the same terminal was stamped '4'.
Don't forget the small brown jumper on the coin relay that I forget to send.  It's mounted right on the relay between terminals #2 and #3 on the diagram.
Stan S.

shortrackskater

Ok got that, thank you. I'll make up one and start there. I'll stick with wiring the relay before I go to the next parts.
Mark J.

shortrackskater

Stan -  I already have another question. For the WHITE wire, I see it goes from G, on the relay to the right side on the second position down, on the bakelite strip.
Is there any reason why I can't crimp on a connector and just screw it on that position? And is there another jumper from the second position to the top? I see that on the picture you sent me but not in the schematic.
Mark J.

Stan S

Mark
The picture was of a payphone in my collector that has a modular cable attached so it can be connected to a controller.
The second position down on the terminal strip is the ground (low side of the coil of the coin relay). Has nothing to do with earth ground. The controller connects to the top 3 terminal positions; tip, ground and ring.

I'd solder the white wire on the right side of the second position of the strip. Might as well do it the way it was done originally.

Stan S.

shortrackskater

Meant to say #4 on that one. Did the "G" mean a color at one time?
I went ahead and soldered that in and routed the wire down and to the terminal on the coin relay.
One down... more to go! Thanks again Stan.
Mark J.

Stan S

Mark
'G' originally meant earth ground.
If you look closely below each terminal the bakelite is embossed L1, G and L2.

shortrackskater

Making some progress now. I removed the back and soldered the red and green wires.
Here's my attempt at clean wiring! I guess I should have used the string but I only have small zip ties.
Mark J.

shortrackskater

I'm confident I have my coin relay wired properly. I did my best to make the wiring look clean... same old red zip ties.
I'm stuck though. I'll list my issues.
1. The auxiliary terminal assembly. What does it wire to? And it screws in the back case but there's two nuts. Should those go in the back of the case? They don't look like they need to be there.
2. The upper case wiring. The dial wires appear to be connected but I have  green, red, black, and white wires coming from a relay and a switch. I can't seem to see that on the wiring diagram. 
Adding pictures in a minute.
Mark J.

Stan S

Mark
A picture (or two) is worth a thousand words.
See attached.
Stan S.

Stan S

Mark
The wiring diagram for your payphone is Figure 2.
It's page 3/4 of 9.
Section 476-202-403 of the Technical Manual.

Stan S

Quote"1. The auxiliary terminal assembly. What does it wire to?
And it screws in the back case but there's two nuts. Should those go in the back of the case? They don't look like they need to be there."

Mark and all.
None of the screws that come out of the back of any AE payphone should have nuts. All the holes in the back castings were tapped. If there are nuts on any of the screws it means either the screw threads aren't the proper size or the tapped holes in the back are stripped.

Mark
The 1A assembly Jim sent you was NOS. The nuts were put on to hold the stacked parts together. They were supposed to be taken off and tossed before the assembly was mounted in the payphone.

Stan S.

Stan S

Quote"Here's my attempt at clean wiring! I guess I should have used the string but I only have small zip ties."

Mark
In a pinch, heavy waxed Dental Floss works fine as lacing chord.
Stan S.

Stan S

Let's try that again.

Mark
In a pinch, heavy waxed Dental Floss works fine as lacingCORD
Stan S.