News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric D1, early with Aluminum Base

Started by wds, February 13, 2015, 05:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

The 2nd D1 with the extra hookswitch pileup came with a 4 wire line cord, I assume for anti-sidetone sets.  If this is a sidetone setup, why would it have come with a anti-sidetone line cord?  The black wire was taped off inside the 534A subset. 
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on February 16, 2015, 09:25:29 AM
The 2nd D1 with the extra hookswitch pileup came with a 4 wire line cord, I assume for anti-sidetone sets.  If this is a sidetone setup, why would it have come with a anti-sidetone line cord?  The black wire was taped off inside the 534A subset.

It probably wasn't the original configuration, someone made it work the way they wanted to use it.

I agree that this was a D2/103 which requires a five-conductor cord. It would have used a 554C subset. As such it was the equivalent of the 51C desk stand, compare here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12355.msg130311#msg130311

poplar1

Actually, at some point all 202s (D1s) were equipped with 4-conductor D4S cords, even if they were used with sidetone subsets. The black lead from a 202 or 151AL was insulated and stored inside a sidetone subset.

A 103 (D2) would have required a 5-conductor mounting cord when used for Tip Party Identification.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Partyline4

I'll go ahead and say it,

He only paid $30 for it!  :D

How much can he get for it?

wds

Good question.  Can I retire off of this one?
Dave

wds

Well, to answer my own question, I don't expect that this aluminum is worth much more than the zinc versions.  The early dates will help, but otherwise I think I have to keep working. 
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on February 22, 2015, 01:24:47 PM
Well, to answer my own question, I don't expect that this aluminum is worth much more than the zinc versions.  The early dates will help, but otherwise I think I have to keep working.
They made them from Al for at least half the entire production run. Somewhere here we discussed this and the switch to zinc alloys appears to have been in 1936.  By time that is more than half.

Not all the Al housings were made by Western though.  Some have third party logos molded.

wds

I didn't know that these were also made by others - what kind of logo would I be looking for?  Where is the logo normally stamped?
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on February 23, 2015, 08:37:48 AM
I didn't know that these were also made by others - what kind of logo would I be looking for?  Where is the logo normally stamped?

Here is a picture. I haven't researched the logo, but I would certainly start with Alcoa which wasn't only the inventor of smelting Al, but was also headquartered in NYC and had its facilities close by.  It is not, however, one of the official company logos of Alcoa at the time.

These housings have a piece part number, P-224756, as seen in the picture, which none of the others have, IIRC.
This number is smaller by only 1 than the piece part number of the housing in the 1935 catalog (P-224757), so we know it was a distinct part.

Partyline4

I'm curious as to how you know they're aluminum.

Both zinc and aluminum are nonferrous.

Thanks

unbeldi

Quote from: Partyline4 on February 23, 2015, 10:07:23 AM
I'm curious as to how you know they're aluminum.

Both zinc and aluminum are nonferrous.

Thanks
If you lift them next to one another, you'll know the major difference.
The density ratio of zinc to aluminium is 7.9 to 2.7  (g/cm3).

We had some extended discussions about this HERE, and member TelePlay actually measured the density of both types of housings.

The thread also discusses the variability of density in alloys, as both the zinc and al housings were not pure metals.
You can also tell that there is a slight difference in appearance of the surface.

Partyline4

Yes.

You could also tell if it is aluminum by sticking your tongue on an exposed surface and feel for the "tingle".

At least that's how I do it.

Zinc has a similar sensation, but not as strong. 

poplar1

D2 and D3. Note arrangement of RR B and R terminals on right of each.

D2---103A, 103B, 103C
D3---104A, 104B, 104C, 104D; 204A, 204B, 204C, 204D; 207A, 207B, 207C, 207D

Source: TCI library: C32.164 i1 and ADDENDUM C32.164 i3
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.