News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 250 linesman phone (yes its a dial phone, honest!)

Started by gpo706, August 10, 2010, 06:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

£8.50 - £10 shipping, didnt expect to win this - bidder 2 got cold feet after £8.

I've got 2 250A's - the difference is the "A"'s have headset sockets!

Not seen many 250's for sale, plugs a gap.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t250.htm

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

gpo706

Kenny C

is that a good price? the top of the handset looks like an E1
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

gpo706

Are E1 handsets worth much?

Its similar to a  GPO 164 handset with a different flattened mouthpiece to sit on the base, and the press to talk strip button.

This is bakeliite, the dial alone is worth £20 upwards  ($32)?

gpo706

AE_Collector

gpo706

Yup $30 including shipping, as usual with bargain finds the postage is more than the item, nut I kinda discount that when anybody asks - I just say "Oh it was a fiver!"

;)

Dan

When someone says a few "quid" is that like Americans call a dollar a buck? Is a quid a pound? Always wondered, thanks.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

gpo706

Yes Dan, quid = buck.

Or "notes"/ "squids" / "sheets" / "bar" / "green-ones" / "beer vouchers" /  - etc

A "Ton" is £100

A "Monkey" is £500

A "Score" is £20

A "Grand" is £1000

These still in parlance today in Scotland.

I don't get the American "clams" for buck atall though was it because clams were a buck each at one time?

PS found plenty more:

http://www.businessballs.com/moneyslanghistory.htm#slang%20money%20meanings%20and%20origins

Phonesrfun

Interesting that £100 would be a Ton.  Kind of shy by a factor of 20x.  Must be the colloquial slang.  Here a Grand is also $1,000
-Bill G

gpo706

Anybody here paid a "grand" for a phone, I like mine cheap and dirty and useable!

;)

Dennis Markham

Then there is "C-Note" for $100, "Fin" for a $5 bill, and a "Sawbuck" for a ten.

bingster

I don't know where "clam" comes from.  Even odder is "simolean."
= DARRIN =

Dan

Quote from: bingster on August 12, 2010, 01:40:23 AM
I don't know where "clam" comes from.  Even odder is "simolean."

At one time, clamshells, in the form of many small ones strung together,
were a currency used by native Americans, mostly in California.
As far as "simolean" goes,

in early eighteenth-century Britain, the small silver coin whose proper name was sixpence was often slangily called a simon. I'm  not sure why, but a plausible origin lies in the name of Thomas Simon, a famous seventeenth-century engraver at the London Mint who designed some new coins after the Restoration in 1660, including the sixpence. (A New Testament reference, to St Peter "lodging with one Simon a tanner", led to the coin later being called a tanner instead.) Simon seems to have been taken to the USA and transferred to the dollar coin (the name is said to have been recorded in the 1850s). Having in mind the much more valuable French gold coins called Napoleons, some wit bundled simon and Napoleon together and made from it simoleon.

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright