News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Got a touchtone!

Started by AET, April 13, 2009, 09:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Not a 2500, like I thought I'd buy, but definately unique!

http://tinyurl.com/cl27sv
- Tom

Dan

Nice, looks to be ivory too ( I am still wanting one of these)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

Good buy!  I was watching that one, but let it go figuring I've been full up on phones as of late and need to cut back.  I think you will enjoy this unique pairing of a dial-less 500 and early add on touch tone pad.

Dan/Panther

I'll never understand why something that unique only sells for $10.00 ?
D/P{

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

contraste

I was watching that from England, nice buy!
I was intrigued by the Rural Communications branding. Was that a company that supplied equipment or a telephone service like Bell?

bingster

I've never seen anything like that, nor have I heard of the company.  Just going on hunches, I'd say that this "Rural Communications" company supplied touchtone pads to rural telephone systems which used non-dial telephones.  When such a system finally entered the modern world, it would have been far less expensive to add a touch tone pad to a manual phone than it would have been to replace the telephone with a touchtone model.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Bingster's theory makes sense to me.  Hey Tom, neat buy.  It it modular and/or could it be re-wired to be used on other dail-less phones?  Pretty cool. :)

Tonyrotary

Steve

Thats one cool phone :)

Looks like the tt pad is wired in the line cord. most likely you could move it to any phone you wanted. good score.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

AET

Thanks everybody!  I'm very excited about this phone, and the deal I got.  As y'all know, I live on a part-time K-Mart salary as of now and don't have a heck of a whole lot of money for phones, and even this buy put me right on the edge of broke, but I had to have it and I can't wait to get it.  Sent out payment today! 

Thanks for all the information behind this too!  It's a great 'you don't see this every day' kinda thing.  I just have nowhere to display it as of now, but we'll figure that out  ;D
- Tom

McHeath

I rotate my phones on use, they come out for a week or two then get moved to the closet for a new phone to take up the spot, sorta a "rotary" system.  (bad pun) :P

contraste

Strange things turn up on Ebay.

In a similar vein to AtomicEraTom's acquisition, this contraption from Italy uses a cell phone headset and a keypad in place of a traditional phone:

http://tiny.cc/Xkp19

AET

I would love to rotate my phones, but unfortunately I only have two open spaces for phones that are actually hooked up and the wall jack is behind my very heavy 1956 Dresser :( Also, anybody else having problems with these "tiny.cc" links, I can't get them to work .
- Tom

HobieSport

Hi Tom,  Sometimes the TinyURL links don't work for me either, but then I try them again, and they work.  Do none of the TinyURL links work for you or do they just not work sometimes?  I've also been having some faulty image links on Ebay, where the pictures sometimes don't load, and then I try again and they work fine.  And sometimes movies don't work on my computer and then I reboot and they work fine.  So it beats me what's up.  Poor little computers get confused sometimes. ;)

Do you use tinyURL?  We all started using it a while back just so we didn't have really long URLs from Ebay that ran off the page.  TinyURL is just a quick handy website that does it for you; it's not a program that you install on your computer:

http://tinyurl.com/

Cheers,  -Matt

Ellen

Quote from: McHeath on April 15, 2009, 10:04:05 AM
I rotate my phones on use, they come out for a week or two then get moved to the closet for a new phone to take up the spot, sorta a "rotary" system.  (bad pun) :P

I forgot to mention another of my favorite inventions - rotary power - the foundation (one of many) of the Industrial Revolution (revolution - get it, get it?)  But really - turbines, motors, belts and pulleys and drive shafts and wheels and all that, and then all that round-round turns into something back-and-forth like a loom (my specialty, once) - just amazing!