News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm going to POTS!

Started by Greg G., September 02, 2010, 04:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Just ordered a POTS line.  T-Mobile was having some problems with coverage in my area for the last 3 weeks or so.  Since my whole system is run through my cell network, I discovered how bad it is to entirely lose phone service, and I don't really make that many calls.  I also discovered how bad T-Mobile's customer service is.  Qwest was the only one in my area that had POTS, and I made darn sure the rep understood I wanted an old-school POTS line, not the modem kind that loses power and therefore losing your phone service when the power goes out.

The other cool thing is I was able to get a number that was on one of my 500 sets.  Don't want to post it here because of lurkers, but I would be happy to show a picture of the phone w/number via PM.

Everything should be good to go by Friday evening or Saturday.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Brinybay on September 02, 2010, 04:31:38 PM
...Don't want to post it here because of lurkers, but I would be happy to show a picture of the phone w/number via PM.

I hope it is an Automatic Electric Model 80 phone. (Ducking from WE500 phone tossed at me by Dennis  :o :o :o )
Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on September 02, 2010, 04:34:21 PM
...Don't want to post it here because of lurkers, but I would be happy to show a picture of the phone w/number via PM.

I hope it is an Automatic Electric Model 80 phone. (Ducking from WE500 phone tossed at me by Dennis  :o :o :o )

Nope, sorry, it's just a black 500, but no reason I can't replicate the phone number on an AE80.  I like to rotate my primary rotary phone anyway.  Hey, that's a pun!  :D
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Apparently I can't attach pics to PMs.  Here's the edited version.  
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

;D ;D
Nice Pun!
Awesome you got the same number :)
Everybody always asks me why I have a home phone, this is why :D
Also  they look at me funny when I say POTS, then laugh when I tell them "Plain Old Telephone Service" ???
Earthlings are sometimes very puzzling to me ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

gpo706

Harry, took me about 6 months before I figured out what all you were talking about as "POTS".

On a related note, one of my C-NET numbers is exactly the same as my first GPO number, purely by conincidence with the PBX extensions running from 21 to 36.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bwanna

YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!WAY TO KEEP THAT COPPER ALIVE!!!!!! ;D :D ;D :D...thx, greg!
donna

Kenny C

that was me jorge ;)
Quote from: JorgeAmely on September 02, 2010, 04:34:21 PM

I hope it is an Automatic Electric Model 80 phone. (Ducking from WE500 phone tossed at me by Dennis  :o :o :o )
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Just ordered a POTS line.  T-Mobile was having some problems with coverage in my area for the last 3 weeks or so.  Since my whole system is run through my cell network, I discovered how bad it is to entirely lose phone service, and I don't really make that many calls.  I also discovered how bad T-Mobile's customer service is.  Qwest was the only one in my area that had POTS, and I made darn sure the rep understood I wanted an old-school POTS line, not the modem kind that loses power and therefore losing your phone service when the power goes out.

The other cool thing is I was able to get a number that was on one of my 500 sets.  Don't want to post it here because of lurkers, but I would be happy to show a picture of the phone w/number via PM.

Everything should be good to go by Friday evening or Saturday.
Greg ...they should know P plain O old T telephone S service. It wasn't really a term in the old days, they were MBs or measured business lines. People kept asking for a plain old telephone service in the wake of ISDN and T1s and POTS was born....Doug
Kidphone

Dan

My sister dropped her POTS line and went all cellphone. I am all for keeping ole Cincinnati Bell going  strong.

Good to see a new POTS addition.

You and any POTS users can add a new # to your POTS line for free by using "google voice".  Just search for it via your favorite search engine. It's really cool and free!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Quote from: bwanna on September 02, 2010, 06:15:04 PM
YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!WAY TO KEEP THAT COPPER ALIVE!!!!!! ;D :D ;D :D...thx, greg!

Donna:

You writing in caps? Too much sugar from your birthday cake?  :o :o :o
Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on September 02, 2010, 06:15:04 PM

Well, if it gets you that excited, wonder what would happen if I added another line?  ;) 
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

well, greg, if you lived in oakland co, mi........i would install the lines myself ;)
donna

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on September 03, 2010, 06:05:41 AM
well, greg, if you lived in oakland co, mi........i would install the lines myself ;)

That would mean my "pick-up line" worked! hahahaha!!!!
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

donna