"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE 975C Rotary Dial Problem

Started by BHall, December 12, 2014, 02:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BHall

Greetings!

I have a GTE 975C dial with a problem.  The numbers 1 and 2 will not rack when I dial.  They just snap back in place without making a connection.  Can this be repaired or do I need to replace the whole dial?  Thanks for the help.

stub

BHall,
           Can you post a pic of the back of this dial?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

Hi and welcome.
I will say its pretty good chances to get it right.

You will probably get 2 pulses to little for the other digits to.

Took a picture of one dial here, and it looks like the tab who closes the dial pulse contacts acts to early. (red arrow)

The 2 arrows points at how the metal are bent on those tabs on mine. (its the upper one who is important for this )
Be careful to not brake the tab, look try and adjust as little as possible.

dsk

BHall

It would seem to me though that this adjustment would not help the racking problem.  Would this help the dial to keep from snapping back?  Numbers 1 and 2 do not engage.

dsk

Then I don't recognize the problem. Never asked for filming before, but may be an idea how it works when dialing 1, 2, 5, 0. 
And of course others may have experience from this kind of problem. 
dsk

Kenton K

The problem is probably in the ratcheting system. You will need to open up your dial from the front. There may be gunk in the teeth of the ratchet.

KK

BHall

Kenton:

I think it is the ratchet system.  I can't figure out how or if it can be adjusted. The nylon piece that is up against the wheel with the teeth, this won't always engage with numbers 1-2   The metal tab in the upper part of the photo has a function to help this also but I don't think it can be adjusted.

Kenton K

Nice photo,

Is the not engaging all the time, or only some some of the time?
If you rotate the mainshaft, are all the teeth of the ratchet there?
Maybe you could try cleaning it with a weak solvent, like naphtha (i use coleman fuel) to get rid of any gunked up grease.

KK

stub

BHall,
        Not much adjustment on these dials as you can see a lot of plastic. I would clean it as Kenton K suggested and blow it out with air hose and spray the ratchet system with silicone spray lubricant , don't get the spray on the governor and see if that helps. If not you will have to take it apart and clean it , maybe that will help or replace it.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

Hi again
I have opened my (Starlit) dial to investigate, and mine are older, the hook B are made of metal, and has a visible spring to move it in the direction of the arrow.  I guess this are working since you may dial 3 or more.  The arrow A are pointing to a thin lever depending on friction, in clockwise it lets the hook engage, in the counterclockwise position it blocks the hook, and you get a noiseless winding up of the dial. Be careful to oil this, since friction are important here.
If you just put a rubberband where i did put a green line, it will probably work, but noisy and not perfect.

I guess cleaning are the solution.

dsk