News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Printable dial cards

Started by winkydink, January 16, 2009, 11:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

Is there a website out there where you can print out your own dial cards?

I know that it is desirable to have original number/dial cards, but what would really be nice is a place that you can print out blanks or even enter the phone number that you would like printed on the card and then just print out to a heavy stock cardboard like paper (in the comfort of your own home).

... How's that for a run-on sentence.

I just did a little research and found out that my exchange actually existed when letters were used, and I would like to print out a number card using the correct wording/numbers.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Perry;
You must have been looking at the very same time I was.
D/P

Perry

winkydink

Forum members

I have a proposition, but I need your help.  I am a computer programmer by day and a telephone fanatic by night (at least recently).  (no that's not what I need help for).

I would like to put together a program that will run under windows (sorry mac users) that will allow a person to print out customized dial card (i.e. user can input desired phone exchange and numbers) using some standardized blanks.  Eventually, I will allow the user to use any blank card that they put into a custom directory, as long as the new dial blank is of the proper size (around 460 x 460, the size used by the site mentioned above).

Additionally, I will try to put slider bars and edit boxes so that the user can shink or grow the size of the final dial card so that will print out properly on multiple printers (hopefully yours).  I also will try to make it so a user can print out 1, 9, or 25 number cards on a single piece of paper.

What I need from the forum is a crisp scan of a blank "Wait For Dial Tone" card with no number in the center and approximate size of 460 x 460 pixels (see picture below).

If any member have this as well as say 2 or 3 other "standard" number cards they would like to see, I can start there, and we can all see where version 1.0 of this software goes.

Additionally if someone can tell me what font type or types were used I can probably use that info as well.  Otherwise I will just look at some samples and try to make the best guess I can.

I am not sure how long this will take, but it should be fun to attempt this type of application.

Thanks for your help.

bingster

I removed the number from the card you posted.  Will that work?
= DARRIN =

winkydink

Quote from: bingster on January 17, 2009, 10:31:47 AM
I removed the number from the card you posted.  Will that work?

Bingster,

Thanks.  This will work fine for now.  As I said I plan to have the program eventually be able to choose from dial card images stored in a directory, but for now one or two demo cards will work to begin with.

Again if anyone else has a canditate dial/number card that they want, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Dennis Markham

Winkydink, have you seen this site:

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/index.html

I think they've set it up so that cards can be printed.  I've tried it and didn't have much success.  I'd love to see how yours will turn out so I can print some on some heavy off yellow or other colored stock.

Dennis

winkydink

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 17, 2009, 12:44:28 PM
Winkydink, have you seen this site:

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/index.html

I think they've set it up so that cards can be printed.  I've tried it and didn't have much success.  I'd love to see how yours will turn out so I can print some on some heavy off yellow or other colored stock.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Yes I did see this site and after looking around I felt that I could program something that should be a whole lot user freindly and also allow the user to enter in a phone number of their choice (something that I did not see anywhere on the web).

I would like to make this a web application, but I normally write programs for windows, so that is where I will begin.  If the windows program turns out even partially successful, I may talk with some people I know to see if I can convert it to the web. 

We shall see.

Thanks.

Dennis Markham

That would be great.  I am anxious to see how your project comes out.  It would be great to be able to customize some cards!  Good luck!

Perry

I don't know if this is already part of your plan, but it would probably be better to clean up the scans to remove the jagged edges, texture and color, as that would be provided by the paper that you are using for printing.

I have printed out my own number cards from the telephone archive scans, and also bought cards and typed my own number on them. Either way, it is difficult to make them look exactly like the real (original) ones. The exchange number (or later, area code) seems like it was printed on, and the rest of the phone number was stamped on, resulting in a different font for that part.

BTW, does anyone know why the earlier cards were perforated? Like this one:
http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/assets/wb_we_blank_or_form/300dpi/wb_blank_black_background_big_middle.jpg

bingster

They're designed to fit the older candlestick type curved card holders as well as the more modern round circular card holders.  For the candlestick card holders, the upper and lower portions of the card are removed and discarded.
= DARRIN =

Steve

I think this is a great idea. I have to print my dial cards on plain white paper with only the number on it. I had thought about printing the dial cards from that site before and somehow adding the number to it. BUT.. I'm no good at computer stuff like photoshop.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan/Panther

A great idea, and one that will be very welcome.
Aren't Automatic Electric cards slightly larger than Western Electric cards ?
D/P