News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 3rd payphone

Started by Greg G., June 13, 2014, 01:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: gpo706 on June 30, 2014, 10:16:42 AMCouldn't you have just removed the rear locking latch and left the face on it?

Probably, but, I was on anti-depressants at the time and often didn't think about doing sensible things sensibly (like climbing up onto the roof of my 2nd house to fix the aerial like Rod Hull did!!)... :o

gpo706

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 30, 2014, 11:27:55 AM
Quote from: gpo706 on June 30, 2014, 10:16:42 AMCouldn't you have just removed the rear locking latch and left the face on it?

Probably, but, I was on anti-depressants at the time and often didn't think about doing sensible things sensibly (like climbing up onto the roof of my 2nd house to fix the aerial like Rod Hull did!!)... :o

Yeah 2CV, been there, done that, but no trying to fix the TV ariel like Rod!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Greg G.

A few more pics after getting it out of the case.  The 7/8" thin wrench helped a lot on loosening the lock that secured it to the case, but even then I had to force the lock to the left a bit with pliers and flex the case as much as I could to get it off, but it came off.

The case is 2-piece, and it's armored, to say the least!  I tried straightening out one of the mounting holes in the back of it that got bent when somebody apparently forced it off whatever it was mounted to (see previous pic of back of case) by using my largest hammer and the case on an anvil, but all it did was make a shiny mark on it, did not bend it back in shape at all.  I decided it wasn't worth the effort and left it as is.

More labels on the bottom that told me more about the phone, including the manufacture date.  I googled "ELT-PHONE", but it brings up references to ELT, Emergency Locator Transmitter.

I also tried resetting the programming code back to the factory default per the intructions in the manual, but after several unsuccessful attempts and making sure I'm following the instructions correctly, I gave up, it doesn't seem to work.

CHANGING THE PRESET PASS CODE; (only necessary if you do not want to
use the factory preset code of 6666666.)

1. ENTER PROGRAM MODE.

2. ENTER * # 7

3. WHEN YOU SEE P CODE ON THE LCD SCREEN, ENTER ANY 7 DIGIT CODE YOU WOULD LIKE TO USE.

4. YOUR NEW PASS CODE IS NOW THE 7 DIGIT NUMBER YOU ENTERED.

NOTE: If you forget your pass code, turn the phone over, remove the plug on the bottom of phone, and locate the 2 switches in the housing.  Go off hook, switch the #1 dipswitch to the on position. Go back on hook, switch the #1 dipswitch back to the off position. Your pass code is now back to the factory preset 6666666.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Raining on my day off, so was inside playing with my toys.  Only ventured out to find some locks for this (and food for myself).  Found the locks at the friendly Ace Hardware store for $7.99 each.  When I took one of the old ones to a locksmith, they wanted to charge me $35 each!

I'm still attempting to get the correct instructions for resetting the programming mode.  There was an ad on CL for one just like this that included the actual manual, so I emailed the seller and asked them to compare the instructions in the text version posted with what was in the official manual, but never heard back.  I sent an inquiry today via the official G-Tel site asking them for info on this phone, hopefully I'll get some information from them.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I think 4 months is long enough for a project to age and I needed to clear off my work bench so I can actually work on some phones instead of just yaking online about them.  Finally got around to finishing this (helps that the weather is cold, wet, and crappy).  Installed the new plastic shield for the sign and the locks.  Did not do anything cosmetic to it except clean out a small amount of gunk that had accumulated around the coin insert. 
- Mike Row
e