"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Millennium Payphones for sale

Started by wds, January 15, 2013, 08:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 16, 2013, 01:54:17 PM
Here's a thought, sit a CD player next to it and play Robbie Williams' "Millennium" and see if it submits to the torture and opens itself for local programming... :D
Just might work! Eric is going to check with his friend about it - he is pretty sure he has a solution to get these in service, so I am really hoping! I have been searching for years, and so have many others, so I am hoping Eric's friend can come through. Otherwise, I may have to resort to your method :) Actually, they make a nice display anyway with their blue displays, but, Oh, it would be so much nicer if we could make then really operate!

If anyone else has information which might help us in our quest to find a way to better demonstrate our Millenniums, we would be very glad to hear from you! Surely there must be a way, but we haven't discovered it yet. What most collectors would like to do is have it default to base rate only, local calls only and to be able to display it working. These are legitimately owned telephones.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on January 16, 2013, 02:01:24 PMActually, they make a nice display anyway with their blue displays, but, Oh, it would be so much nicer if we could make then really operate!

Dave

Depending on the display design, you could actually rig something up and wire the display to a computer via serial or USB and run appropriate ads or messages on the display, as you can get cables to connect to such things (I'm guessing it's a VFD display, which is controlled in a similar manner to small LCDs), so wouldn't entirely be an "out of service" display item, at least, until you found a way to reprogram it... :)

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 16, 2013, 02:18:06 PM
Depending on the display design, you could actually rig something up and wire the display to a computer via serial or USB and run appropriate ads or messages on the display, as you can get cables to connect to such things (I'm guessing it's a VFD display, which is controlled in a similar manner to small LCDs), so wouldn't entirely be an "out of service" display item, at least, until you found a way to reprogram it... :)
Yes, it is a VFD display, but hardly worth the trouble :)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: wds on January 15, 2013, 08:18:53 PM
Every once in a while I venture down to the furniture surplus store at my local university, where they sell off used furniture.  Ohio has this ridiculous law that forbids using used furniture in new buildings, so every time a department moves to a new facility, they sell off the old furniture.  Needless to say I've gotten some pretty good deals on stuff.  This time they had some interesting items for sale, including these pay telephones.  I was in a hurry, so I don't have much info on the phones, other than they were asking $200 each for them.  Does anyone know what these are, and are they worth the $200?
All this discussion grew out of your message. My feeling is if we could make these phones more useful, that their value would increase. But right now, given their limitations for display, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one, and recent auctions have brought approximately that on eBay. So, if I were you, I wouldn't pay more then $100 for one. They look to be in good condition, and it looks as though they all have their keys taped to the top.

But, if we can find a way to do anything other than display them, their value will increase. I thought I should mention this, as the topic kind of strayed off your original intent, and I am as guilty as anyone.

But it is all applicable to determining a value for them!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dugan

Quote from: DavePEI on January 15, 2013, 08:56:54 PM
Quote from: ESalter on January 15, 2013, 08:52:33 PM
You guys are sure they can't be hooked up and operated like a regular phone like WE singleslots can?  A friend of mine that works on these said they could.  Not trying to say anyone's wrong here, just pointing out a conflicting story and looking for confirmation one way or another so we know.

---Eric

There were a few Millenniums produced for display at industry shows which were produced with demo chips in them, which would allow them to work without a manager connection, but these are very rare. Nortel/Quortech won't even admit demo phones exist, such is the culture of secrecy surrounding Millenniums.

Dave

Last weekend I picked up a "Millennium" Payphone at a yard sale. It came in a custom made, extremely heavy duty, Quantum Scientific shipping case. The phone is marked with the numbers NT5U41BA220C R13 Demonstration Terminal. Very sadly, it did not come with keys. It even has a magnetic credit card with the words Demo Card handwritten on it. In the case there was also a Primax adapter with six pin female to male pass through plug. Pins 1 and 6 carry 16VAC, but the cord coming out of the phone has a regular 4 pin connector. Of course the phone does nothing with the inline connector or just plugged into a phone jack.

I am guessing I have a rare demo unit that is useless without keys.

Pete
Pete

Fan of phones old and new, old flashlights, radioactive household items, Geiger Counters, cameras including IR, cult computers and GPS's dating back to the beginning of the technology.

DavePEI

Without being able to open the phone, you are a bit stuck. Unless you are willing to take a bit of a chance. If there is only a four conductor line coming from the phone, there is a good chance ring and tip are connected to the red and green and the DC will feed through the yellow and black pair.

If you feel like taking a chance, try wiring your 16 volt lines to the yellow and black and see if the display will boot up. Note: The power supply must produce DC output. If it doesn't run, swap the plus and minus. The phone has protection circuitry which will protect against AC or incorrect polarity. It just won't boot up properly unless hooked up to a correct power source.

Now, the interior plug in the phone is four conductors and that is where normally the +/- power and the ring and tip would go. There is a very good chance yours is wired to use simply a four conductor cable.

I wish I could guarantee this - do it at your own risk - it could damage the phone if not correct.

Dave
Quote from: Dugan on May 21, 2013, 08:49:41 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on January 15, 2013, 08:56:54 PM
Quote from: ESalter on January 15, 2013, 08:52:33 PM
You guys are sure they can't be hooked up and operated like a regular phone like WE singleslots can?  A friend of mine that works on these said they could.  Not trying to say anyone's wrong here, just pointing out a conflicting story and looking for confirmation one way or another so we know.

---Eric

There were a few Millenniums produced for display at industry shows which were produced with demo chips in them, which would allow them to work without a manager connection, but these are very rare. Nortel/Quortech won't even admit demo phones exist, such is the culture of secrecy surrounding Millenniums.

Dave

Last weekend I picked up a "Millennium" Payphone at a yard sale. It came in a custom made, extremely heavy duty, Quantum Scientific shipping case. The phone is marked with the numbers NT5U41BA220C R13 Demonstration Terminal. Very sadly, it did not come with keys. It even has a magnetic credit card with the words Demo Card handwritten on it. In the case there was also a Primax adapter with six pin female to male pass through plug. Pins 1 and 6 carry 16VAC, but the cord coming out of the phone has a regular 4 pin connector. Of course the phone does nothing with the inline connector or just plugged into a phone jack.

I am guessing I have a rare demo unit that is useless without keys.

Pete
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dugan

Quote from: DavePEI on May 21, 2013, 09:05:56 PM
Without being able to open the phone, you are a bit stuck. Unless you are willing to take a bit of a chance. If there is only a four conductor line coming from the phone, there is a good chance ring and tip are connected to the red and green and the AC will feed through the yellow and black pair.

If you feel like taking a chance, try wiring your 16 volt lines to the yellow and black and see if the display will boot up. Note: The power supply must produce DC output. If it doesn't run, swap the plus and minus. The phone has protection circuitry which will protect against AC or incorrect polarity. It just won't boot up properly unless hooked up to a correct power source.

Now, the interior plug in the phone is four conductors and that is where normally the power and the ring and tip would go. There is a very good chance yours is wired to use simply a four conductor cable.

I wish I could guarantee this - do it at your own risk - it could damage the phone if not correct.

Dave

I went back the next day to ask the guy I bought it from if he ever had the keys and he said he didn't. He got it in a lot of items at an auction. I gave it a try connecting the 16VAC on pins 1 and 4 and nothing seemed to happen. It is disappointing, but I got a very nice case and the phone for $80. I can live with that.  Thanks for the reply.

Pete
Pete

Fan of phones old and new, old flashlights, radioactive household items, Geiger Counters, cameras including IR, cult computers and GPS's dating back to the beginning of the technology.

AE_Collector

They probably have the wrong adapter with it. As Dave says, likely the power should be on the 2nd pair to the phone. I think the proper power supply is 24VDC not 16VAC.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 22, 2013, 12:36:09 AM
They probably have the wrong adapter with it. As Dave says, likely the power should be on the 2nd pair to the phone. I think the proper power supply is 24VDC not 16VAC.

Terry
Hi Terry:

Yes, that is what he discovered last night after I told him normally it would be 24 vdc in a PM. I hadn't noticed before that his supply was AC. With another supply, it booted up and he is going to play with it today. If it does what I have heard other demo versions do after going through the boot-up, it would ask him to pick up the receiver and either make a call or to insert their demo card.

Alas, his not having keys is a major problem as those Abloy locks aren't made for picking - or for drilling for that matter. You will no doubt remember the tale of my drilling out the upper lock in mine years ago now. All those stainless bars in the lock made for nearly impossible drilling! Not impossible, but hard on molybdenum drill bits and it will take a ton of time. Then a day to clean the filings off the circuit board and throughout the case. Took a full day to drill the top lock only of mine.

I was so glad I heard back from him last night that he had it booting. Congratulations, Pete!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

ESalter

I spoke to a man just this weekend that has "broken into" a couple dozen Millennuims.  To drill the locks he used a drill press with a 4 fluted end-mill cutter in it.  He said it mangles the bit once it breaks through the outer case of the lock, so he used two of them.  A good one to bore through the case, then a used/bad one to chew up the lock mechanism.  He said not a single one of them took him more than 5 minutes to open.

---Eric

DavePEI

Hi All:

I got a call from Pete using his demo Millennium this morning. What a fortunate man he is to have found one of these! It sounds great! I knew one other who had a Demo version of the Millennium. These were made to demonstrate the phone at shows without setting up a manager account for them, and commonly come in cases similar tot he one his did. We assume they had special eeproms in them to duplicate the manager programming process.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dugan

Quote from: DavePEI on May 22, 2013, 12:19:35 PM
Hi All:

I got a call from Pete using his demo Millennium this morning. What a fortunate man he is to have found one of these! It sounds great! I knew one other who had a Demo version of the Millennium. These were made to demonstrate the phone at shows without setting up a manager account for them, and commonly come in cases similar tot he one his did. We assume they had special eeproms in them to duplicate the manager programming process.

Dave

Thanks Dave and others for your suggestions. I am posting a link to a video of the phone working. I might try to do a better job on a future video with better sound and a bit of editing. For now the phone resides where my computer is... our laundry room! How the laundry room ended up doubling as a place for my hobbies speaks volumes about my place in the order of things.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dapeco/sets/72157647442270736/

Thanks,

Pete
Pete

DavePEI

Hi Pete:

Looks good! Nice phone, and great video!

There are compounds with which you can remove the scuffing on the screen if you feel it is worthwhile (Novus #2).

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dugan

Quote from: DavePEI on May 22, 2013, 08:21:52 PM
Hi Pete:

There are compounds with which you can remove the scuffing on the screen if you feel it is worthwhile.

Dave

I wouldn't mind polishing the screen a bit. The scuff isn't deep, but I hesitate to experiment and spoil the plastic. Leaving it alone might be the best idea. Otherwise the phone is in nice shape.

Pete
Pete

DavePEI

The stuff to use is Novus #2, the same stuff we use to polish plastic phones. It was formulated by Novus Auto Glass to polish plastic and remove scratches from the bezels on headlights. Just do it by hand - you can't make it any worse, and from the look of it, it wouldn't take a lot of polishing. Just apply with a soft cloth and buff.

Dave

Quote from: Dugan on May 22, 2013, 09:03:48 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on May 22, 2013, 08:21:52 PM
Hi Pete:

There are compounds with which you can remove the scuffing on the screen if you feel it is worthwhile.

Dave

I wouldn't mind polishing the screen a bit. The scuff isn't deep, but I hesitate to experiment and spoil the plastic. Leaving it alone might be the best idea. Otherwise the phone is in nice shape.

Here is another little video I did of a turntable I found in a small town radio store (new old stock). Forgive me for going of topic with this link, but I like it and thought someone else might too.

https://picasaweb.google.com/copeda/Mar32011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Pete
C*NET 1-651-0001