"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FOUND --- WANTED *** Hard plastic G3 transmitter cap in dark red

Started by Chesterwick, November 09, 2018, 08:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesterwick

Hello all,

I recently got a nice darker  red WE 554 made in 11/59 and it appears to be an early hard plastic model. It's in good shape, however to my dismay the transmitter cap was broken in several spots and wasn't repairable. I got a replacement on eBay and it turns out it is a lighter, brighter  shade of red, and doesn't look right.

Would anybody happen to have a spare dark red transmitter cap for sale? Either hard or soft plastic I guess.

Let me know please and thank you!

Joe

Pourme

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but, there may be a color code stamped in ink on the back of the dial, a letter and a number. This will isolate the exact color you need. a picture would help as well. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

RotarDad

The WE red is a darker red, code -53, and the back of the phone's dial should have a 7C-53 stamp along with the date (unless the dial was replaced at some point).  The replacement cap you bought was very likely made by Stromberg Carlson or another non-WE licensee of the design.  Many other manufacturers' reds were much brighter than the WE color.

The solution is a WE cap.  The correct one would not have a center hole I believe.  WE transitioned to hard (ABS) plastic in mid '59, but retained the "no center hole" in both caps for several more months, perhaps into early '60.  A later WE cap will work as far as color match, but will have a center hole.  WE caps were always dated (ink stamp until sometime in '58 when they started molding the date into the plastic).
Paul

Chesterwick