"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

554-C Subset

Started by rp2813, March 03, 2011, 08:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

Well, I wasn't expecting this.

Success!  Following the diagram and using a substitute terminal for "K" gave me dialtone and a marked improvement in reception quality.  Not only do things sound more clear, but the loud clicking at the beginning and end of fingerwheel travel is greatly diminished.  I can again hold the receiver to my ear while dialing.  Whether that's a result of swapping out the 554 for the 634, or correcting the wiring inside the stand, or a combination of both, I'm very happy with the results!

I placed two test calls to my cell phone's voicemail, one with the D1 and the other with my 1950 500 to compare.  There's not a lot of difference in transmission quality between the 10/36 F1 capsule and the 3/53 T1.

I intend to make some calls out from the D1 set to test further for reception as well as transmission during casual conversations with distant parties on both land lines and cell phones. 

I'm fairly sure I've got this rig at optimum performance capability now.

Thanks to all, in particular The Bingster for the clear, concise and immeasurably helpful diagrams for 202 dial service!  This case is closed!
Ralph

rp2813

Just for kicks . . .

Would it be that difficult to configure the 554C for single line dial service?   Could I sorta kinda adapt what's happening on the Bingster's diagram?

If the phone would perform equally well on the 554C, it would be nice to have all 1931 or older components, excepting the 1936 F1 transmitter capsule and #4 dial that has no date I can find.

Ralph

Phonesrfun

Quote from: rp2813 on March 09, 2011, 08:19:15 PM
Just for kicks . . .

Would it be that difficult to configure the 554C for single line dial service?   Could I sorta kinda adapt what's happening on the Bingster's diagram?

Absolutely.  Basicly follow the regular 634 or 684 basic wiring diagram.
-Bill G

rp2813

Thanks Bill.

I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.  I'll report in on how it went, or if I run into trouble.
Ralph

rp2813

I got the 554C wiring reconfigured without any trouble.

Unless there are wiring variations necessary for the 46B coil that I am not aware of, the 554C produced more sidetone to an annoying level, and reception quality was degraded.  I have a feeling that additional wiring tweaks could be required.  One thing I noticed was that the typical click could be heard in the receiver when the handset was lifted off the hook, but when the switch hook was depressed, there was no click.  Even the 634 provides a click both when handset is lifted and when hook is depressed.

So, I hooked the handset and stand up to the 634/101 coil again and the improved service I had been enjoying was restored, with sidetone  reduced to an acceptable level and reception much more clear.  I think I'll leave it at that.  I want to use the phone more, so if the 634/101 subset provides the best possible performance, that's what I'll stick with.

I'm going to order a 557 receiver element from Steve Hilsz anyway.  Mine has bad threads that are chewing up the bakelite spacer, so I'm also getting a spacer from him.  We'll see if a different element changes anything.  I doubt it, as the element currently in my phone looks almost brand new -- except for those bad threads.

Ralph