"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave F

More...

Dave F

More...

david@london

..........just to say, this topic is my fave @ the moment. great photos...harry smith, yr timelapse of the shuttle's journey was really a great film to watch.

Dave F

Quote from: david@london on November 07, 2012, 06:39:42 PM
..........just to say, this topic is my fave @ the moment. great photos...harry smith, yr timelapse of the shuttle's journey was really a great film to watch.
david@london:

I realize that the Space Shuttle has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with our main interest (old phones) but, fortunately, the powers-that-be have blessed us with the ability to post items that are Off Topic.  Being a big fan of the space program, I can't describe my elation at having been allowed to observe first-hand this once-in-a-lifetime event (Hey, Martha, there's a Space Shuttle in our parking lot!).  My brother, whose hobby just happens to be photography, brought along several of his high-end cameras.  I am glad you are enjoying the pictures as much as I like posting them.

Harry:

That video is super.  I can see exactly where we were standing when Endeavour passed by on La Tijera.  I'm trying to locate some software which will allow me to capture the video and save it to disc.  If I can examine the video frame-by-frame, I just might be able to determine if we can be seen standing there.

Dave

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dave F on November 07, 2012, 09:43:00 PMI'm trying to locate some software which will allow me to capture the video and save it to disc.

If you use Firefox, you can get an addon called "EmbeddedObjects" which you can use to download the files that are played back in most Flash players such as the one on that LAT page, I just tried it and it's there as an .MP4 file... :)

Dave F

The L.A. Times Endeavour time lapse video is also available on You Tube.  You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdqZyACCYZc

Then, you can download it (or any other You Tube video) to your computer using a free program called Youtube Downloader.  This program also allows you to convert the downloaded video into other video formats.  I've tried it and it works without any problems.  Get Youtube Downloader here:

http://www.youtube-d.com/

Dave F

Here's a close-up look at thermal protection tiles on the left OMS engine pod.  Each of the more than 20,000 tiles is custom-made for the location it will occupy on the vehicle.  You can clearly see some of the identifying serial numbers.  Most of the (originally-white) tiles show the scars from repeated blazing trips back through the atmosphere.  The cleaner looking tiles are obviously replacements for originals that were too badly ablated for continued use.  Attaching, maintaining and replacing the tiles was, from the very beginning of the program, a costly and labor-intensive process.

twocvbloke

It's funny, they started doing the serial number thing in Star Trek, basically marking as many panels, ports, peripherals and anything with a flat surface with a label, often containing little in-jokes and whatnot that can't be identified on camera, just to make it feel more realistic compared to real life spacecraft hardware... :D

Dave F

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 08, 2012, 04:32:23 PM
It's funny, they started doing the serial number thing in Star Trek, basically marking as many panels, ports, peripherals and anything with a flat surface with a label, often containing little in-jokes and whatnot that can't be identified on camera, just to make it feel more realistic compared to real life spacecraft hardware... :D
Gee, ya think NASA had to get permission from Paramount before they could put numbers on the tiles?

Dave F

The L.A. Times time lapse video is posted on You Tube in 720P HD format.  Looks really nice on a HD TV.  I downloaded the video into my computer and examined a relevant section frame-by-frame.  Here is a screen capture of a frame from 31 seconds into the video.  Yes, by golly, there I am, gray hair and all, watching Endeavour pass by.  Now, that's what I call pretty darn cool!

Thanks again to HarrySmith for bringing this video to our attention.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dave F on November 08, 2012, 04:40:13 PMGee, ya think NASA had to get permission from Paramount before they could put numbers on the tiles?

I wouldn't think so, seeing how it's been a military standard since before Star Trek ever aired... :D