News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Oxford Grey Bargain!

Started by HarrySmith, March 11, 2012, 03:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I guess phone prices are down! I was watching this and was really shocked it went so low!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360439226658

1956 Western Electric Soft Plastic Telephone Oxford Gray

Description:

This is a Western Electric 501 model rotary dial telephone in Oxford Gray.  The phone is the hard to find soft plastic version of the early colored set.  The phone is in decent condition with scuffs, nicks and scratches from usage; no cracks. 

The phone is dated 10/56 on the bottom, the dial, ringer, case and the network.  The adjusting wheel for the ringer volume is on the bottom of the phone. There are six holes in the ear piece versus the seven of later versions, the receiver end has what looks to be a run of nail polish remover (photo 5) .  The thick rubber gray handset cord is original to the phone as is the heavy gray base cord.

There is an open center finger wheel with the original 50's telephone number plate.  Phone has no rust on the base and it sits on triangular, suede leather foot pads.  There are no cracks in the plastic housing.  The dial is in good shape and neither slow nor sluggish to return.  This is an early 500 set in a difficult to find color and could use a good cleaning and polishing.

Please email questions before bidding. Something that is important to you may be missed by me so please ask if in doubt. Winner agrees to calculated USPS shipping.

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Nice Phone. Final price $203.50. Doesn't seem bad considering the condition.

The buyer is almost certainly "unknown" ebaY handle "Sleeveground" from Lousiana USA. Still trying to ID that one.

Terry

Dennis Markham

That did end low considering what the two Mediterranean Blue sets recently sold for (both over $600).  The Oxford Gray is much more difficult to find than Mediterranean Blue.  I had been watching this too and figured it would get out of hand.  I might have flirted with it had I only known..... :)

I think Saturday evening is a bad time to end an auction. 

Congratulations to the new owner.