News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 2554 issues.

Started by GTElover, February 08, 2016, 06:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTElover

Can anybody provide any insight as to why i cant get a dial tone from my western electric 2554.  The numbers on the back read 2554BMP 77018.  The network has 4228 K.  There is no dial tone but tones from the keypad can be heard (faintly)  also there is a faint pop when the hook switch is pressed down.  It's driving me nuts and I'm pulling my hair out.

Please help.

Thanks Matt

G-Man

Matt, please provide us with some context; is this a problem that recently developed on its own or were you working on it prior to it failing? Is it a newly acquired set that you have just now plugged-in? Have you tried a different handset cord or made sure the modular plugs are fully engaged?

At present, in lieu of further background, try temporarily removing the red switchook lead from the network's "S" terminal and see if that alleviates the problem. Then report back to us so we can recommend further action as may be needed.

GTElover

Hi G Man,

It turns out to be a tiny piece of plastic had broken off the back of the handset socket (phone end) and the plug was going to far into the socket breaking the connections.  Socket fixed phone works fine.  Can't believe it was that simple.

Thanks for you time, greatly appreciated

GTElover

Just also discovered after further testing that although the keypad is making tones they are not registering.

Regards
Matt

andre_janew

It could be a polarity issue.  If it is, switching the red and green wires coming in from the line cord will solve the problem.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on February 08, 2016, 01:04:32 PM
It could be a polarity issue.  If it is, switching the red and green wires coming in from the line cord will solve the problem.

Nope, with reversed line polarity, a touch tone pad produces no tones whatsoever, if the set doesn't have a polarity guard.

andre_janew

I'm sorry, I thought he meant it didn't break dial tone whenever a button was pressed.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on February 08, 2016, 07:02:23 PM
I'm sorry, I thought he meant it didn't break dial tone whenever a button was pressed.

I think that is indeed what he said.

But he also said that it produces tones.

JimH

Quote from: unbeldi on February 08, 2016, 01:53:33 PM
Quote from: andre_janew on February 08, 2016, 01:04:32 PM

Nope, with reversed line polarity, a touch tone pad produces no tones whatsoever, if the set doesn't have a polarity guard.

I've got the same problem with a 2500.  It produces tones, but won't break the dial tone.  I tried reversing red and green, and no tones produced.  I checked all connections with another known working 2500, everything looks fine.  I'm thinking it may be the touch pad?

Jim
Jim H.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: JimH on February 08, 2016, 11:21:12 PM
I've got the same problem with a 2500.  It produces tones, but won't break the dial tone.  I tried reversing red and green, and no tones produced.  I checked all connections with another known working 2500, everything looks fine.  I'm thinking it may be the touch pad?

As it's polarity sensitive it is probably an LC oscillator type and the oscillators need tuning.

Is there a spectrum analyser App for your smartphone?

Jack

Phonesrfun

Before the introduction of the IC chip to make touch tone tones, the dial operated with switches and tuned circuits with induction coils that would occasionally fall out of tune.

If the dial is only producing a single tone, as opposed to two simultaneous tones, then it is probably a switch issue.  There are many switches on the early touch tone dials.

If it is producing two distinct simultaneous tones, then it might be a tuning issue.  If that is the case, I would send it to Steve Hilsz for a tune-up.  In order to tune a dial, you need a certain sized triangular non-ferrous tuning tool and a frequency counter, and some patience and knowledge of the dual tones produced by each button.

If it is a switch, then cleaning the switch contacts with a piece of card stock rubbed between the contacts should work in most cases.  You don't want to use anything more abrasive than say a rough piece of card stock, such as a business card.  Otherwise the precious metal points on the switch contacts will be worn off and you will be forever trying to keep the switch contact working from that point on.

-Bill G

podor

I've been able to tune dials by ear. I made a tool from a plastic pen cap, filing it to the correct triangular size. If you push 2 keys at the same time, you can isolate one tone, two buttons across would be one oscillator and two buttons down would be the other. With another known good phone (and a helper pushing the same buttons) on the same line, you can tune the tone until the frequency "beats" go away, kind of like tuning a guitar.

I've had 2 early 12 button sets (operator spelled out in an ark) where the oscillator broke free from the board. It will still create a tone, but it will be too high of a frequency to be adjusted in.

unbeldi

I think the method of pressing two keys to generate the pure row or column frequency only works on the early, that is No. 25 and 35 type TT dials.

JimH

Quote from: Jack Ryan on February 08, 2016, 11:45:25 PM
Quote from: JimH on February 08, 2016, 11:21:12 PM

As it's polarity sensitive it is probably an LC oscillator type and the oscillators need tuning.

Is there a spectrum analyser App for your smartphone?

Jack

I'll have to look into that.  I've never messed with a touch pad besides cleaning the contacts with a small folded up piece of paper and some alcohol. I was trying to replace my mother's princess phone which she has trouble hanging up correctly (she's in her 80s), with a 2500.  I have so many parts phones, I will just replace the touch pad if I can't get it tuned correctly.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Jim
Jim H.

compubit

Quote from: unbeldi on February 09, 2016, 10:02:17 AM
I think the method of pressing two keys to generate the pure row or column frequency only works on the early, that is No. 25 and 35 type TT dials.
It will work on some later TT pads, even on the AT&T Signature Traditional phone. It does not, though, work on the newer Trimline "square button" phones.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!