and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic PBX for Rotary Dial Telephones

Started by RotaryRose, July 16, 2011, 04:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotaryRose

gpo706,

Hi there,
I just saw your 'Linesman' phone.  Wow - is it in that condition too ?  looks like a pretty unique piece as well.  Does it work well ?  Yes - batteries . . .it does add to the running costs - no doubt about it.  Perhaps a DC Converter - that can be somehow attached to (without damaging the look and integrity of the Phone) to reduce the running costs slightly.
Keep Smiling . . . .Keep Dialing : )

kind regards
Julie-Anne

RotaryRose

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your Post . . .and Hello from Australia.

No - I had absolutely no idea that was the case . . .Amazing ! 

I was having a discussion with member: Owain, about Extension Dialing -  who kindly explained that I also did not need the '#' or '*' option to CALL Extensions.  In addition he mentioned that in order to CALL 'ALL' EXTENSIONS (Together) - that I should configure the PBX to select a 'HUNT GROUP'.  Obviously, I would assume this would be mentioned in the Manual - I hope.

thank you so much Terry

kind regards
Julie-Anne

AE_Collector

Quote from: RotaryRose on July 16, 2011, 12:42:20 PM
Hi Terry,

Thank you for your Post . . .and Hello from Australia.

You're Welcome and G'day from Canada. Welcome to the Rotary Forum.

Terry

gpo706

Quote from: AE_collector on July 16, 2011, 12:22:08 PM
Quote from: gpo706 on July 16, 2011, 10:52:10 AM
the extensions are numbered from 21-36 (I know not why)

Presumably you "know not why" the extensions don't start at "1" or "01"?

Traditionally "0" was reserved for operator (of the PBX) access. "1" could have been used but in N America at least it is considered a special access code for Long Distance and while that has no effect on PBX stations it is still seen as a special code. Also, in the dial pulse electro-mechanical switching days a first digit of a number that begins with "1" could casue mis-dialing problems since a "1" can easily be inadvertently generated just by going off hook. Therefore "1" was usually not used as a first digt for phone numbers.

Pretty much every PBX I ever worked on had stations starting with "2".

Terry

Thanks for the explanation Terry, makes perfect sense now.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

RotaryRose

To everyone I have spoken to this evening :-

gpo706
Owain
Terry

Thank you so very, very much : )   I feel enriched with your kind wisdom.

kind regards
Julie-Anne

Dennis Markham

RotaryRose, I am enjoying reading this thread and learning right along with you.

Welcome to our Forum!  It's great to see all parts of the globe coming together here to discuss telephones and telephone related things.  (Even discussing off topic things from time to time).  We are glad to have you aboard!

~Dennis

gpo706

Quote from: RotaryRose on July 16, 2011, 12:32:16 PM
gpo706,

Hi there,
I just saw your 'Linesman' phone.  Wow - is it in that condition too ?  looks like a pretty unique piece as well.  Does it work well ?  Yes - batteries . . .it does add to the running costs - no doubt about it.  Perhaps a DC Converter - that can be somehow attached to (without damaging the look and integrity of the Phone) to reduce the running costs slightly.

Well you could if you so wanted, but kind of invalidates the whole point of it!

It's hardly unique, thousands off em out there, - don't even start with linesmans sets on the bay, you'll need a 2nd house for them...

Owain

Quote from: RotaryRose on July 16, 2011, 11:55:37 AM

Aggghhhhh . . . . .Wiring . . . .did you mention Wiring Dear Owain ?!  Did I mention that the only kind of 'Wiring' I am familiar with is what I hang my Collette Dinnigan Dresses on - in my cupboard : )

I like wiring :-)

Unless you're going to have all your phones within about 6' of the PBX you will need to do some wiring.

Quote from: RotaryRose on July 16, 2011, 11:55:37 AMObviously, I will have to INSTALL a 'female' Socket on the PBX to ACCEPT the RJ11 PLUG (from my Rotary Telephone(s)) . . .is this correct Owain ?  Would you know of the 'Technical Name' of this DEVICE that I require please Owain ?

It appears likely the PBX will have RJ12 sockets (RJ11 is the tiny connector used for handsets)

Simple way of wiring is to get some of these cords:

http://www.ji.com.au/products/telephone/telephonecords/rj12torj126p4c/

TWICE the length you need.

Cut each cord in half (you get two extensions from each cord, or 2+2 if using Proprietary phones)

Plug the one with the plug end into the PBX. Run the cable to the far end, strip the cores and connect to one of these sockets:

http://www.ji.com.au/products/US7082/

staple the cord round the skirting boards so you don't trip over it.

Quote from: RotaryRose on July 16, 2011, 11:55:37 AM
 It must be nice to rotate your Collection around - and enjoy ALL your Phones in different locations.  In my case, I would like the #202 on the bed stand . . .the 50AL on my Coffee table . . . .the Siemens 366 in the Kitchen . . . .the #302 in my Office . . . .the Pyramid on the Hall Table . . ..and finally (if I have a (PT - Proprietary Telephone - as Extension 1) Telephone to aid in Programming) in the Garage.

That would be nice.

I already have a 8782 push button bell phone by the bed.

No phones in the kitchen apart from the ones in boxes on top of the wall units.

The hall has a Statesman and an Ambassador ESS as well as the answering machine.

I really do need a small museum with living accommodation attached.

gpo706

Julie-Anne, I forgot to mention the Pana PBX's are incredibly tolerant of slow dials, I have tried from the slowest to the fastest dials on my sets and it accepts them all, just seems to wait till it hears the clicks and then pulses out.

HarrySmith

Hi Julie-Ann :) Welcome to the forum! There is no known cure for this disease! I call it phoneitis. It will eventually lessen as you collect all the colors, all the models, all the paraphanalia or run out of space and money! We have a Panasonic expert on the forum who will probably chime in. 15 phones is not a large collection, check out the thread on collection views, there are some impressive phone rooms there!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

From one Rose to another....Welcome to the Forum, when you get one , here is the manual....Doug
Kidphone

RotaryRose

A BIG G'day to Mr. Harry Smith / Mr. Doug Rose and of course Mr. Dennis Markham . . .

Thank you for your warm welcome . . .it is truly appreciated.

'Phoneitis' - I love it . . .yes, I do believe this is indicative of where I'm headed . . .so many choices of incredible Rotary Telephones . . .so much to learn.  Harry - the wonderful aspect I enjoy about Vintage Rotary Phones, is that they are a living 'Past' (so to speak) . .  .they have a wonderful history . . .just ready to be told.   When I first saw the #202 . . .I had no idea as to the complex inclusions / features and details that the phone had to possess . . .in order to truly compliment a certain era and /or Model.  For example, . . .a 4H Dial . . .a 5H Dial . . .the 'Orange' numbers under the Telephone - indicating the Date of the phone.  There was the correct Subset to consider. . . .All Amazing details.   Then, I read about correct procedures in 'Refurbishing' these Phones - leaving the 'Orange Date' on . . .whereas, some people were painting over them.

I really wanted a #202 that mirrored what was a truly typical Model for the time (except for the Subset).  I wanted a #202 - that when I saw it in my living room . . .I could say to my friends . . .this is 'how' and 'what' a #202 would of looked like in the 1920's'-1930's'.  Having my small (in comparison to the 'Master Collectors', here on 'Classic Rotary'), yet cute collection . . . .being able to RING . . .and CALL other EXTENSIONS on a PBX, is fascinating to me . . .and VERY exciting.  Thank you Harry for you Welcome.

Mr. Doug Rose - Thank you for the Manual forward.  It is thanks to you, that I have so much incredible reading material to absorb and enjoy.   Actually Member: gpo706 has also been kind enough to forward and recommend a great Manual Site . . .as a terrific source of information.  To be quite honest - I really had no idea as to how much specific and detailed information is out there - I have plenty of reading to do.  Thank you.

Mr. Dennis Markham - Thank you also.  It's nice to say hello to you. . . .and may I just congratulate you on a magic forum . . .sensational !

. . .Member : Owain, thank you for the information Up-Date too . . .
Your STEP-BY-STEP Process in explaining any 'Wiring' to the PBX (if required) is Wonderful !  It could not be clearer . . . .even where to locate and source the necessary parts . . Brilliant !   

Owain, after doing a little research of my own . . it seems here in Australia - we like to confuse 'ourselves'.  I have read that in America - you call them RJ11 and RJ12 (Registered Jack - (RJ)) . . .BUT, in Australia, it seems we also call them RJ12.
Yes - it seems that the PLUG (is Male) . . .and the SOCKET (is Female). 

** Up-Date on KXTA-308 (Ebay-Australia) 'Wiring' Scenario - for my RJ11 (PLUGS) To Connect To It **

I have taken the liberty to contact the SELLER, with regards as to whether or not . . .the Panasonic KXTA-308 (in Australia) can Accept RJ11 PLUGS directly into the PBX.   He has sent me the following reply :-

. . .'I have done a test with a Pulse Dial Telephone and it works fine, and the PBX will only Accept RJ11 Plugs.  All the Extension Ports are good . . . .'

As a result - I feel quite confident in that 'Wiring' Solution may not be required at this stage (this is of course, that I am the Winning Bidder), seeing as though my Rotary Dial Telephones may actually be able to directly SLOT into the Extension Ports.

Once again Owain - thank you for the brilliant TIPS.  A treasure of information.

kind regards
Julie-Anne

gpo706

They are RJ11 F, all my WE's have US linecords with RJ11's and I just plugged em in and away they went - no bother.

RotaryRose

*** My Up-Date with regards to the Panasonic PBX ***

G'day to to Every Member . . .I hope you are all enjoying your Weekend . . . and savouring your glass of Wine or Beer . . .Cheers !

I would like to Post an Up-Date in response to the kind responses I received with regards to my Panasonic PBX dilemma.  Once again, thank you - to all those Members that replied.

In an effort to highlight my exploits and help other new Members contemplating in setting up a Basic Panasonic PBX configuration for their Rotary Phones . . . .I will Post my Response in the 'TECHNICAL 'STUFF' section of this Forum.  Please feel free to have a read :) 

kind regards
Julie-Anne