News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 233G First Payphone resto

Started by ILM75Dodge, October 21, 2015, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILM75Dodge

I am trying to restore my first payphone a Western Electric 233G, I know I am missing several parts and have only found a few. I was able to find the hopper and top vault plate that it screws too. I also need to find the key for the vault lock (14-B) which I was able to remove or a correct replacement. Hoping get help identifying the parts I need and sources that wont break the bank!!

I have started repainting certian pieces and then once I find everything I need to figure out how to put it all together working!

Original WTB Thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14962.0

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mentalstampede

For a key, you can send your lock to Jody Harralson at http://payphonelockrepair.com/ and he can probably open it up and re-key it to an available key. He did the one in my NE payphone.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

RotarDad

It really depends on what level of completeness you want.  You could find a coin track with the correct spring mounts, a network and probably wire a working telephone that dings with coins.  To make it complete, you'll need lots of parts.  It will probably be easier to buy another upper housing that is complete, but maybe externally damaged to get the price down.  You sometimes find complete relay/hopper units on Ebay also.  A 233 should also have a 685A subset which includes a network and ringer to be correct. Payphones can really nickel, dime and quarter you when you buy parts. ;)  Yours is pretty nice on the outside; finding a junker or two to cannibalize is really helpful and probably cheaper in the long run.  You can always resell the leftover parts on Ebay.

Ron Knappen compiled an excellent payphone resource book that is available on Ebay.  The BSPs (Bell System Procedures) are available online and are also quite helpful in identifying parts and how they function.
Paul

ILM75Dodge

Thanks for the input! I think I found most all the missing parts and I will use the contact to see about getting my lock re-keyed!