News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE/American Bell 295a subset

Started by Pourme, March 29, 2017, 08:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I purchased a most interesting piece on EBAY (http://tinyurl.com/lso3uen)  and it arrived today. I was the only bidder at $25.00 + $22.00 shipping. I intend to use it with my 20al I purchased from SargeGuy. During the auction, I wasn't sure exactly what I was bidding on because of the lack of pictures and information. I did a lot of research and thought it may be a 289c. The markings on the side, not shown in the EBAY pictures clearly shows it's a 295a.
If you look at my pictures you may agree that it was born a telephone and not a subset. There are still screws on the front that have been cut off, a hole in the side covered with two pieces of metal, and the label inside the door has another label under it.  The model (Type) information on the side has been changed as well.

There is even a pat date on the hinge, 1886. All said I am extremely pleased with the purchase! I plan to use some of the techniques explored and detailed by TelePlay when he restored a similar piece earlier. http://tinyurl.com/mbcuzku

I will take pictures and ask advice often.

Please look at the pictures and share your thoughts, I could be wrong on my assumptions.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

More pictures:
Benny

Jim Stettler

Nice find. It is an  " American Bell" telephone, ISTR American Bell is 1880 and ran for about 20 years. I think it is a find of the month.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

It started out as a Type 124-A Wall Set before being converted to a 295-A subset. Note the "O" inside a box stamped on the back; that's the letter code for the WE repair shop location (still not identified).

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9359.msg100322#msg100322
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

That fits, exactly....The marks on the side that plainly read "type", then the rest has been obscured looks like the last letter is "A" .... the box matches too. Thanks for that information.
Benny

Sargeguy

I saw that phone, it would make a good restoration project.  All you really need is the switch, hook, receiver and transmitter assemblies.  I was tempted to bid but I already have a wall full of WE compact wooden phones and not enough time to work on them.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Pourme

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 30, 2017, 07:31:22 PM
I saw that phone, it would make a good restoration project.  All you really need is the switch, hook, receiver and transmitter assemblies.  I was tempted to bid but I already have a wall full of WE compact wooden phones and not enough time to work on them.

Glad you didn't, Greg....I didn't need the competition!... I'm going to restore it as a subset & use it with the stick that I go from you....
Benny

Sargeguy

Probably a good idea, come to think of it.  The reason I have so many wall phones is that they can be found fairly cheap.  The parts need for a proper restoration would be fairly pricey if bought separately.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.